Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden Yahoo mail

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 henri09

henri09

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:24 AM

I have had some very good help from this forum before.

I write this time, as yesterday I noticed, internet speed was low and I'm quite sure, it was not a comp's fault.
So I uninstalled Chrome and also Flash player 14 with revo advanced uninstall.

Restarted and installed Chrome again, everything was alright and fast.

There was nothing odd yet. 
Then in the morning I noticed suddenly a Yahoo mail (5 unread) and a school's mail and a few more which seemed false addresses, whcih were on Favorites bar.

So I clicked on the school mail which then had one of my teacher's Username and Password saved, I tried to log in and it did log in and all worked, but then I logged out ofcourse..

I usually did communicate with this teacher by Gmail, she has a Yahoo mail.

What the heck does it all mean? where did the username and pw popped out?
Any explanations?

It did actually happen to my GF, not me, described it as well as I could.

I have a working Avira protection.

Edited by henri09, 27 July 2016 - 12:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:17 PM

Make and model of computer please.

Assuming that it is not you deliberately hacking the school's email system, something very odd is going on !  As a first step I would tell the teacher involved what has happened and bring it to the attention of the school's system administrator. Probably a good idea to take the computer with you and not delete these favourites until the sysadmin has had a chance to look at it. Inconvenient I know.

When you say -

suddenly a Yahoo mail (5 unread) and a school's mail . . . whcih were on Favorites bar.

do you mean that these bookmarks / favourites took you to the respective email log-in pages which had user name and passwords permanently saved ?

If this is the case, once you have shown the situation to the people I mentioned above, I would uninstall Chrome, re-install it and see if the situation happens again.

I could see a situation where your teacher's email log-in got onto your girlfriend's laptop - she borrowed it to do something on email and clicked the 'Remember my password' button by mistake. That might explain one occurrence but not several and some of them total strangers.

Post back and let us know what happens next, and include the make and model.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:22 PM

Is this a school or public computer? Also, is Chrome synced to a account? Another words, when you open Chrome, is someone name on the top right corner next to the minimize button?

#4 henri09

henri09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:58 AM

This computer we bought used from internet. 2 years since buying now.
I made a Format to it, it has win 8.1.

Acer E1-572 , year 2013 I guess.

It's a personal computer, No-one has borrowed or used it besides us.

* When I uninstalled Chrome, cause it was slow, then when installed a new one, I did not see the favorites myself.
She said, those were there in the morning, when she opened Chrome.

Yahoo, KJPG mail (school study-system), and some more with white windows, which she said seemed not working because of the white empty letters and unknown names. 

Sadly she deleted those favorites right away...that's too bad, but I will re-install Chrome in some hours and see what happens...
Also not sure, if she was already logged in that moment it happened, cause I also don't know, when the log in happens, probably while entering FB or YT.
She noticed those favorites some time in-between, so...

And yes when clicked on Yahoo there was a Username and PW already entered and ready to log in, though she did not log in there.
Then went to KJPG mail, also Username and PW ready to log in, and those were not wrong initials.

There are no weird anomalies with this comp.
There are Avira two files on desktop  installer.exe , which can't be moved to different locations nor be deleted, but I thought it's ok, if those are Avira, but I didn't see them there before...Tried to delete them in safe mode, didn't work, if used Hunter mode by revo uninstaller it wanted to uninstall Avira, that's why I thought those are no big trouble.

I am not on her laptop, so It's hard to say, when did those arrive.

I used one program - unhackme and there were no suspicious files.

The teacher is also quite old, it wouldn't help too much telling her... At the moment nothing has happened anymore, I haven't yet re-installed Chrome to find out, if it will happen again.

Edited by henri09, 28 July 2016 - 12:35 PM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 04:46 PM

This has to be about the strangest problem on a computer I have ever heard of. As I described above, I could think of a way in which one person's log-in could be on the computer but not several.

Since these strange log-ins have been removed I might be inclined still to re-install Chrome, and if any of these log-ins reappear I would definitely take it to the school's system administrator to at least show him/her what is happening. I take your point about the age of your teacher but if she is still working she can't be that old.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 04:52 PM

"there was a Username and PW already entered and ready to log in"

Who's username was it? The teachers? I agree this whole thing sounds off. Like there is a big piece of the puzzle missing. 

#7 henri09

henri09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 03:25 PM

You know...One guy thought, that it was a glitch of a school server, which actually seems the best to explain this incident.

The odd part is that those addresses were at favorites.

I think, we will ask from school and I may reply to this thread, if it exists then.

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 03:32 PM

My concern is if you were able to see someone else's email what would stop them from seeing your email or data under similar conditions. The fact that the IT sound not concerned makes me think its a tiny IT or even just a person who calls themselfs "IT". I would be careful what you do on that computer until you get to the bottom of it.

Edited by Trikein, 29 July 2016 - 03:33 PM.

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 04:25 PM

The thread will still be here !  This really does need to be investigated even if the school's IT support is a member of staff doing it as part of the rest of their job. Actually you have used the word 'school' without any further explanation. In British English 'school' can be any institution for education from a primary school teaching 5 year olds up to a full blown university with a full post-graduate teaching program !

I really would be interested to hear if you do get an explanation of what happened and how it happened.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 henri09

henri09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:08 AM

This "school" is a high school - grades 9 to 12.
There is a e-school system in most estonian schools where a person logs in and is either a teacher or a student.
Teachers write homeworks there and grades and notes, students see homework, can write also etc.

I'm going to re-install chrome today, but I'm at other place right now on wifi, not same ISP, maybe it is also about ISP? Never know..

Edited by henri09, 30 July 2016 - 11:09 AM.

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 12:00 PM

That is at least a possible explanation. But if it is the case it is even more important to bring the matter to the attention of school's system administrator or technical support. You really do not want a server broadcasting complete log-ins all over the system and perhaps further afield. Who knows, it might be your log-in next !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users