Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 refuses to boot after a long Sleep.

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Pixellius815

Pixellius815

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:50 AM

If I weren't already balding, I'd be pulling my hair out at this point. Last night I told my computer to go into sleep mode, and it was taking nearly 10 minutes to do so, and in my impatience, I forced it to shut down by holding the power button. Upon booting back up, I see the bios screen, the Windows 10 logo, and then am greeted with "Your computer has encountered a problem and needs to restart", along with the error code 0xc000021a. It then reboots, shows me the "Preparing automatic repair" for a few moments, I see a flash of what looks like a command prompt window, then it loads the "Diagnosing your PC", before coming to the "Your PC did not start correctly" screen.

I am able to access the command prompt and all of the utilities, but there is no system restore point (I just upgraded to this 3 days ago), the "Reset this PC" option fails and does not fix anything, same with Startup Repair and "Go back to the previous build". I have made a USB drive with the Windows 10 media tool, but I can't seem to boot my machine from it to try a clean install.

I'm at my wit's end, and I only upgraded to this because machine was running a pirated Windows 7 and I wanted to support the developer. Can anyone advise me on this situation?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:16 AM

Forcing a shutdown in the middle of attempting to sleep has likely corrupted a whole bunch of things.
Also, if using a pirated W7 to update to W10, it's likely that the W10 will be pirated also.

Here's some repair/recovery/restore options (in this order):

As you can't get into Windows, I'd suggest starting at STEP 4

1 - Startup Repair.  Run it 3 times, rebooting in between tries.

2 - System Restore to a point before this started happening.

3 - DISM/SFC repair (DISM doesn't work with W7, although SFC does)

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

4 - RESET using the "Keep My Files" option (W8 calls this a REFRESH; W7 and earlier doesn't have this function)

5 - Repair install of the OS (Thanks to FreeBooter!):

"How To Perform a Repair Installation For Windows 8, 8.1 and 10"
    https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html

"How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7"
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

"How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista"
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

"Non-destructive reinstall of Windows XP"
    https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-xp.html

6 - RESET using the "Remove Everything" option (W8 calls this a RESET; W7 and earlier doesn't have this function)

If using W7 or earlier, this can be accomplished by resetting the system by use of the recovery partition/recovery disks/recovery drive.
If you don't have them, you can usually order them from the OEM manufacturer of your system ( US points of contact here:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html )

7 - Wipe and reinstall from the Recovery Partition (if so equipped)

8 - Wipe and reinstall from Recovery Media - to include deleting all partitions.
If you don't have them, you can usually order them from the OEM manufacturer of your system ( US points of contact here:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html )

Edited by usasma, 27 July 2016 - 10:19 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Pixellius815

Pixellius815
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:06 AM

As far as the authenticity of my Windows, I went and purchased it from Microsoft, so no worries about that. So far, none of the options have worked for me. I tried to run the DISM options, but it has repeatedly come back with "DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /Online option. The DISM log file can be found at X:\windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log". I've made a USB media, but I can't seem to get my computer to boot from it. Safe mode doesn't work, it simply gives me the same error and returns me to the advanced troubleshooting options.

Why is the command prompt going from drive X: ? Shouldn't it be booting from drive C: ?

I'm going to keep going down the steps you've given me, and ultimately I can just bail out the drive and start fresh with a buddy's computer, I just wish I didn't have to. >.<

#4 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:16 AM

Couldn't you always do a clean install with the cd key you bought? You could connect the HD to your buddys PC and get any files you need, then do a clean install.

#5 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:33 AM

As far as the authenticity of my Windows, I went and purchased it from Microsoft, so no worries about that. So far, none of the options have worked for me. I tried to run the DISM options, but it has repeatedly come back with "DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /Online option. The DISM log file can be found at X:\windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log". I've made a USB media, but I can't seem to get my computer to boot from it. Safe mode doesn't work, it simply gives me the same error and returns me to the advanced troubleshooting options.
DISM /Online should only be used when running from within Windows. Run this command instead:

Dism /Image:C:\ /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Did you also try doing SFC scan while booting off of Recovery Environment or Install Disk? In those cases, the commands are slightly different:

sfc.exe /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows 

Why is the command prompt going from drive X: ? Shouldn't it be booting from drive C: ?
Command Prompt in Recovery Environment or Install Disk will always be from X drive, the install disk or recovery disk's contents are in RAM (The X drive), and Command Prompt is starting from there
I'm going to keep going down the steps you've given me, and ultimately I can just bail out the drive and start fresh with a buddy's computer, I just wish I didn't have to. >.<

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#6 Pixellius815

Pixellius815
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:34 AM

I definitely could, but he lives a sizeable distance away, so it's an adventure just to go see him. I'd much prefer to solve this without that trek. I do have the USB stick, and I'm able to browse through it if I bring it up through file explorer, in notepad, through the command prompt. (And here I'm complaining about going on an adventure.) If I have the files, am I able to jerry-rig them into place through the command prompt? Or does it -have- to be through a direct boot of the stick?

#7 Pixellius815

Pixellius815
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:41 AM

Ok,CKing123's DISM command did get a response. The operation held at 20% for a while, and has resulted in Error: 0x800f081f. The source files could not be found.I'm running the sfc command, but it's taking a bit of time.

Edited by Pixellius815, 27 July 2016 - 11:44 AM.

#8 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:46 AM

Ok,CKing123's command did get a response. The operation held at 20% for a while, and has resulted in Error: 0x800f081f. The source files could not be found.

That means there is some corruption in the component store. Did you also run SFC like I suggested you to?

sfc.exe /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#9 Pixellius815

Pixellius815
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:55 AM

It just completed, and returned with "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation".

#10 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:57 AM

That certainly is strange.

Restart your computer. Do you get the Blue Screen of Death? It looks like this:

Blue-Screen-of-Death-Windows-10.png

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#11 Pixellius815

Pixellius815
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:03 PM

Yes I do, but the error that shows is the one I mentioned earlier, 0xc000021a. So...guessing I bricked it somehow, huh?

#12 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:23 PM

Do you have a USB?

If you do, go back to Recovery Envonment, plug it in, and in Command Prompt, type notepad and press enter
Go to FileOpen
Go to the USB drive, and remember the letter.
Then, close notepad, and in Command Prompt, type these commands:

mkdir e:\minidump
copy c:\windows\minidump e:\minidump /y

Replace e with the letter of your flash drive

That will give us a minidump to fix the BSOD issues. I will PM our BSOD experts to take a look at the minidump Usasma is already following this thread

Edit- I forgot to mention, but zip up the minidump folder on your flash drive, and attach it

-CKing

Edited by CKing123, 27 July 2016 - 12:30 PM.

Github | Keybase

#13 Pixellius815

Pixellius815
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:31 PM

I successfully input the first command to create the minidump, but when I put in the second command, it comes up with "The system cannot find the file specified". I put in the first command just to be sure, and it replys with "A subdirectory or file d:\minidump already exists". Will that file be sufficient for what you need?

Also, checking the c:\Windows folder shows no signs of a minidump in that folder. Did I miss a step?

Edited by Pixellius815, 27 July 2016 - 12:35 PM.

#14 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:37 PM

The first command only creates a folder to put the minidump onto.

Could you this command again:

copy c:\windows\minidump d:\minidump /y

If the first command (to copy over the minidumps), doesn't work, then run this command:

dir c:\windows\minidump >d:\info.txt

This command will create a file on your USB called info.txt

Open it and copy and paste everything in it in your next reply

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#15 Pixellius815

Pixellius815
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:43 PM

Neither of the commands worked, the first resulting in "The system cannot find the file specified", the second with "File not found". Checking the windows folder using the notepad trick, I can confirm there is no file or folder titled minidump.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users