Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Weird LAG/PING Spikes Every 30ish Seconds?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JoeThwaites

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:03 AM

Hi guys,

To put a long story short, about a few weeks ago I started getting these horrible lag spikes every 30 seconds or so when playing games such as League of Legends, when I would lag up in-game, I'd check what my PING was using the in-game indicator, and it was going as high as 600ms, whereas usually I'm playing on around about 24.

I then went and researched some tests, didn't seem to help though.

The first test I did was opening up the Windows (Im running on Windows 7) cmd, and entering in "Ping Google.com -t". This would then send me my ping every second or so, it's usually around 22ms, but occasionally shoots up high to 1800's.

I then went back onto cmd, and did the same kind of test, however replacing "google.com" with my own IP address. This came back as a solid 1ms all the time, with no changes at all.

I'm not too sure what the problem is to be honest, as it doesn't seem to be affecting my other devices such as my PS3 or phone, and it only seems to be affecting my games such as Counter Strike, SMITE and League of Legends, which, typically, is where you need smooth running internet.

We haven't bought a new router or changed anything with our devices or internet a few weeks ago which would have affected this, so it's not like something is now screwing with the internet.

I'm currently using WiFi to connect to my computer, and I am UNABLE to connect it to an Ethernet cable as the router is downstairs, whereas my computer is upstairs.

Not sure if it helps, but the household's ISP is SKY Internet.

Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,418 posts
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:31 AM

If nothing else is having issues on your network, I would pin the issue down to the one PC. Since you are using wireless, I would re-install the wireless drivers for your card (make sure they are the most up to date ones) and see if it solves your issue... if not... maybe your wireless card is going? One way to just eliminate the OS/any software causing issues, take the PC to your router and plug up via ethernet. See if it behaves okay. If it does then you know it has to be something with the wireless card.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)
Bachelor of Science in Computing Security from Drexel University
Security +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users