Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't log in anymore because I changed the log in background

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 olufsen1

olufsen1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:28 AM

Hi all!

Yesterday I was trying to change the log in background of Windows 10 (the normal blue one).

I replaced:

C:\Windows\SystemResources\Windows.UI.Logon\Windows.UI.Logon.pri  

with another file with the same name found here

https://github.com/PFCKrutonium/Windows-10-Login-Background-Changer

leaving the original file with an extension .pri2 (that it doesn't exist) because I didn't want to delete it.

Unfortunately, with all my regret, i can't get access to my computer due to I can't see the log in page... If I switch on my PC, after the boot the screen turns black. I thought to boot from USB and install a linux-based file manager owing to the fact I should only get access of the files to delete the downloaded file and change the name of the old original one. 

Please help me!!

Thank you in advance!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:33 AM

Can you change the monitor settings?  Brightness or contrast?  If so, write down what the settings are now, then adjust brightness or contrast or both with the monitor controls.  Doing that will change the colors as they show on the screen and with the right settings should allow you to see the log-in page.

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:17 AM

You don't need to install a linux file manager. You can do it with a Live CD or USB flash drive. For Windows 10 I would recommend Fatdog64 which can boot from a UEFI computer and maybe with SecureBoot enabled. If it does not boot disable SecureBoot in UEFI. For a USB flash drive use Rufus

When you get to the desktop of FatDog you will see your partitions in the left bottom corner labeled sda1..sda2 and so on. A Windows 10 computer will have at least three. Your Windows partition may be sda3. Click once on the icon and a File Manager will open. If you do not see your Windows files then close the Window and click another sdaX icon until you find them. You only need to click once on a folder to open it in Fatdog's File Manager. Browse to your file. You need to right click and select Rename to rename any file. Exit out of Fatdog and reboot. 

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/iso/Fatdog64-702.iso

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 July 2016 - 07:17 AM.

#4 olufsen1

olufsen1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:11 AM

Hey John, thanks a lot!

I have downloaded both fatdog and Rufus because I'd like to boot by USB.

Then, I installed the ISO on a USB flash stick using Rufus and saving as "DD", following a guide. Do you think that ISO is better than DD?

Sorry for my english...

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:45 AM

Hey John, thanks a lot!

I have downloaded both fatdog and Rufus because I'd like to boot by USB.

Then, I installed the ISO on a USB flash stick using Rufus and saving as "DD", following a guide. Do you think that ISO is better than DD?

Sorry for my english...

You want to use an iso file with Rufus. Saving with dd is not required. Saving the file on the hard drive as an iso file is sufficient. Rufus has two partition schemes. MBR with UEFI and GPT with UEFI. If MBR fails use GPT.  If you still have issues try Unetbootin with the Fatdog iso file. Good Luck.

Edit: Your English is fine.

https://unetbootin.github.io/

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 July 2016 - 09:45 AM.

#6 olufsen1

olufsen1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:26 AM

Fatdog is working but I can't delete that file and rewrite the original one because I have only "read access".  How could i fix it?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:37 AM

I was hoping that was not going to happen. Windows 10 has a kind of hybrid shutdown. Because of it linux will only mount the drive as read only to prevent corruption. There is a way to force mount the partition. You should ask how to do a force mount in the linux forum where a BC advisor can say if this is safe or not. You can reference this thread. Good Luck.

Edit: There may be a way to do a full shutdown in Safe Mode. In order to get to Safe Mode you would need to do the following.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

Once in Safe Mode you can do change Windows to not do a full shutdown by disabling fast startup.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

After disabling fast startup shutdown Windows 10 and boot Fatdog again. You should now have write privileges.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 July 2016 - 10:59 AM.

#8 olufsen1

olufsen1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:25 AM

ok! I am in the automatic repair! The problem is that I can't find the safe mode! However, I can use the Windows prompt but I don't know how to use it! Also, the System shows me the possibility to get the settings of some days ago! Do you think it is a Good thing to do?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:36 AM

Yes, If you can do a System Restore to a date before the problem that may work. But, if you saved anything to the desktop after the Restore Date they will be gone.

If you did not save any files to the desktop since the last date doing a System Restore would be a good first option.

You can access Safe Mode by following these steps. It is for Asus but it should be the same for your computer.

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1013074/

#10 olufsen1

olufsen1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:06 PM

Hey! It worked with the restore and I haven't even lost the few files which I moved to Desktop in these last days! Amazing! Thank you very much John! And my PC is a ASUS!!

Thank you again!

Have an amazing day!

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:17 PM

Your Welcome,

Nice.Glad you got it back up and running. You have an nice day also.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 July 2016 - 12:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users