Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for new power supply (brick) for my HD enclosure

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cornflakes2

cornflakes2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:05 AM

I have one of the older hard drive enclosures and I'm not sure what you call the power plug.

It looks like a serial cable instead of just a circle/hole prong like the new ones all are.

It's an xmedia hd enclosure for 3.5" HDDs SATA.  Here the pictures of what the power supply and plug looks like.

My current one is making a loud ticking noise and seems like something is not right so I don't want to risk damaging my HDD if the power supply is suspect.  I'd rather just buy a new power supply.

If anyone can help me find where I can order this part or what it's even called, would be great thanks.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:21 AM

The loud ticking noise may be coming from the drive itself. You could purchase a USB adapter and see if the drive is still functional. It may be cheaper than finding a power brick that may not work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-S-ATA-2-5-3-5-Hard-Drive-HD-HDD-Converter-Adapter-Cable-/330560913155

#3 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:39 AM

thanks for reply.  The loud ticking/clicking noise is definitely coming from the power supply box (brick) because I don't have a drive powered up.  I just powered up the power supply to see the green light if it's on or not and it's on but then the loud noise starts and the green light starts to flicker.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:03 AM

Thanks for the clarification. I would check Xmedia to see if you can purchase the brick separately. Failing that you could purchase a new enclosure on Ebay for about $15. I think a brick with that plug would be hard to find outside of purchasing a new enclosure. I could not find anything on Ebay seaching power bricks.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 July 2016 - 08:04 AM.

#5 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:53 AM

Thanks John for checking.  Yes, maybe you are right.  I thought I could find this ac adapter for maybe a few bucks but it might be cheaper to just buy another enclosure.

The thing is this enclosure is still good, it just needs a power supply so I don't feel like throwing it away.  I'll wait a couple more days and look.....last resort, I'll just buy a new one.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:57 AM

Purchasing another Xmedia enclosure of the same model may give you the identical brick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users