Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade Vista to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ocean77

ocean77

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:43 AM

My wife has Windows Vista and she is starting to have problems with Google Chrome no longer getting updates from MS. I did switch her over to Seamonkey for the time being, but I would like to upgrade her to Windows 7. It would be great if there was a way of doing a free upgrade because I still see Windows 7 Home Premium going for around $85.00.

Would appreciate any help. She is running Vista (Home Premium) 64-bit with Service Pack 2

Thank you for any help. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:27 AM

Other than the free Windows 10 upgrade (for 7 and 8.1), there are no other free Windows upgrades.

#3 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:07 AM

Is Windows still available for free or has time gone by?

I was going to back up everything on a flash drive, would you say this is the best way?

Edited by ocean77, 27 July 2016 - 03:10 AM.

#4 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:06 AM

For Windows 10 you needed a fully updated Windows 7 (7.1) or Windows 8 (8.1) minimum.. Also I think time ran out this week (others will correct if it is wrong)..Vista was not an option !!

I think Windows 7 and Windows 8 Genuine retail install discs can be purchased from New-Egg or Amazon. (USA)

Or try a private purchase from Ebay if you want to take a risk.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:09 AM

The Windows 10 free offer ends on the 29th of this month. If the flash drive has the capacity it should be fine. All your programs would be lost unless you upgraded to Windows 7 first then upgraded to Windows 10.

How smooth the upgrade to 7 would depend on if the computer is currently experienced problems which could be hardware or software related. Usually an OS upgrade on a computer experiences problems does not resolve the problems.

Windows 7 has been having the same issues regarding updates and there are many threads on the BC forum.

Depending on what the computer is used for and if there are any mission critical programs needed you may you may find a linux distro such as Mint would serve the purpose. Most Windows programs have a linux alternative. The distro would depend on the CPU and how much RAM you have. For instance Mint Cinnamon would run well on a good CPU with 2GB of RAM. Mint is the best distro for moving from Windows but I found Ubuntu to my liking.

Once set up your chances of getting malware are slim and none. If you have any further questions please post them in the BC's linux forum. Thanks.

I would recommend a minimum of 1GB or RAM vs what the video stated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-d_TNkPjt8

#6 DaveJoBot

DaveJoBot

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:24 AM

first download the iso online then burn the iso to a 4gb disc and insert it into the cd-rom and click install wait a few minutes and click upgrade it will not re-format the drive in any way and it will keep all drivers and folder, but replace all windows vista files and folders, you may need to redownload chrome just a reminder hope it works

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users