Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

COMMON ISSUES WHY YOU CALL TECHNICAL SUPPORT TECHNICIAN FOR HELP

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 azisel

azisel

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:04 PM

Lets say you bought a gaming hardware and there are issues that you need to get fixed, what would that be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:16 AM

What do you mean by "a gaming hardware"? A gaming PC? New/old? A part for a gaming PC?

Also, even though it's always fun to talk nerd with someone, I think you might have the wrong idea on how to prepare for your technical support role. It isn't about memorizing facts and practicing procedures... that will only make you a script monkey. Instead, focus on learning about gaming hardware in general. Build a computer by hand. Find other people on this forum and try to help them with things you don't know about yet. Focus on the troubleshooting process and try a course on public speaking. Tone, pacing, and proper vernacular are just as important as knowing the technical stuff, if not more so. 

Edited by Trikein, 27 July 2016 - 12:17 AM.

#3 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:43 AM

There're too many issues to list, just take a tour of the many gaming and tech support forums and see how many threads, active or not, there are, even after eliminating duplicates. What's the point? Do you intend to catalog and build a reference library of those issues and their possible solutions? Google already does a superior job of doing the same, you just need to know what to search for.

#4 azisel

azisel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:20 PM

What do you mean by "a gaming hardware"? A gaming PC? New/old? A part for a gaming PC?

Also, even though it's always fun to talk nerd with someone, I think you might have the wrong idea on how to prepare for your technical support role. It isn't about memorizing facts and practicing procedures... that will only make you a script monkey. Instead, focus on learning about gaming hardware in general. Build a computer by hand. Find other people on this forum and try to help them with things you don't know about yet. Focus on the troubleshooting process and try a course on public speaking. Tone, pacing, and proper vernacular are just as important as knowing the technical stuff, if not more so. 

that's the thing, right now I don't have enough funds to build a PC to mess around with. Everything I did was just researching online, asking questions. But that will be one of my plan, to build a PC.

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:58 PM

Do you have any experience fixing computers? Any certifications? I can suggest some reading material or some good videos but first I need to know where you stand now. Also what is the scope of your position? Hardware, software or both? Networking? Maybe the job description might help? 

#6 azisel

azisel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:34 PM

Do you have any experience fixing computers? Any certifications? I can suggest some reading material or some good videos but first I need to know where you stand now. Also what is the scope of your position? Hardware, software or both? Networking? Maybe the job description might help? 

I have CompTIA A+, Bachelors degree in IT, Technical Support and just barely started in this position (this is the only position I have that is related to IT, I was wasting time working as general labor). I got lucky that they gave me a chance and work in an IT position. But I want to pass the probation sooo bad! I like this job I don't care if its entry level because I know everybody has to start somewhere. But the thing is I dont have that much experience and now I'm trying to educate and refresh everything.

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:56 PM

I did food service for 10 years before I got my first support position so don't feel bad. Everyone has to start somewhere.  I would suggest talking to your co-workers and seeing what info you can dig out of them. Any decent company will have a internal knowledge base of some kind of all the methods and procedures for your position. Also, see if anyone if your department share notes. In one NOC I worked in, everyone shared a Onenote profile which made it very easy. In another position, we loaded all the software and documents onto a network drive that we all had access too and even had a backup on USB. In every position I worked, I would use some of my break to walk around the call center and look on everyone's desks for any userful documents pinned to cubicle walls. I think one Christmas when everything was super slow, I probably copied over 200 pages. Knowledge is power!  I understand you are looking for answers, which is GREAT, but no point reinventing the wheel if someone has already gone through the trouble. 

With that said, here are a few problems that will probably be common. What kind of questions would you ask someone saying:

1. Computer runs slow. 

2. Computer doesn't do something it used to.

3. How do I do "X" with my computer?

4. I get error message "X"

5. How do I upgrade? What should I upgrade? 

6. Computer won't get online or access the intranet.

7. Device (printer, webcam, etc) won't work with my computer. 

Edited by Trikein, 27 July 2016 - 10:56 PM.

#8 azisel

azisel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:04 PM

I did food service for 10 years before I got my first support position so don't feel bad. Everyone has to start somewhere.  I would suggest talking to your co-workers and seeing what info you can dig out of them. Any decent company will have a internal knowledge base of some kind of all the methods and procedures for your position. Also, see if anyone if your department share notes. In one NOC I worked in, everyone shared a Onenote profile which made it very easy. In another position, we loaded all the software and documents onto a network drive that we all had access too and even had a backup on USB. In every position I worked, I would use some of my break to walk around the call center and look on everyone's desks for any userful documents pinned to cubicle walls. I think one Christmas when everything was super slow, I probably copied over 200 pages. Knowledge is power!  I understand you are looking for answers, which is GREAT, but no point reinventing the wheel if someone has already gone through the trouble. 

With that said, here are a few problems that will probably be common. What kind of questions would you ask someone saying:

1. Computer runs slow. 

2. Computer doesn't do something it used to.

3. How do I do "X" with my computer?

4. I get error message "X"

5. How do I upgrade? What should I upgrade? 

6. Computer won't get online or access the intranet.

7. Device (printer, webcam, etc) won't work with my computer. 

Thank you for the tips! I really appreciate it! If ever you still have notes or tips for me please share them, As I will hunt for notes tomorrow at work lol Thank you so much! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users