Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failing to boot to MAC installation media (el capitan)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 IIxKnight

IIxKnight

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:55 PM

Hello, i have just replaced my mac hard drive (macbook pro) and installed a SSD, I am trying to boot to a usb with el capitan (have done this before on other mac and it works)

but whenever i select the usb to boot, it hangs on the progress bar about 3 quarters of the way through, then just stays there.

I have even tried a disc, and does the same thing, i have also reset the pvram, same issue, any suggestions thankyou?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:49 PM

I'd try it on the other usb port, if your MBP has another one. If that doesn't work, create a new bootable usb drive with DiskMaker X and try installing it again.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:51 PM

If you put the old drive back into the Macbook Pro (assuming you can...i.e. that it still works), does it still boot fine?

If it does, then you could clone that drive to the SSD (with the SSD in an external enclosure or using a USB universal adapter) using SuperDuper! or Carbon Copier Cloner.

If you want to do a clean install, then you could boot from the old drive with the El Capitan installer on the drive. Run the installer with the SSD attached by way of either an external USB enclosure or USB universal adapter and then install El Capitan on the SSD using the installer. Then put the SSD in the Macbook Pro and boot from it. Then hook up the old drive with the enclosure or universal adapter and use Migration Assistant to pull what you want from the old drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users