Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My elderly mom got scammed by a Microsoft Impersonator

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blackstaroblivion

blackstaroblivion

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:27 PM

Same problem as astanley86 has recently posted. My mother turned on her computer and had a warning pop up that said she needed to call an 800 # within five minutes or the files on the computer would be destroyed. She called and this guy got her to give him her Credit Card #. When I got home she told me and I could see he was remotely accessing her computer. I would like help in making sure her computer is not compromised. I would also like to know if this guy can access any other devices using the wi-fi account? In looking at astanley86 post I started the process used there by running CCleaner and Malwarebytes.

Windows 8.1 (x64) (build 9600)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robert House

Robert House

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:04 PM

Oh my gosh. That sickens me we have humans on this planet that do this to people!  I recently had a phone call telling me that since I was such a good citizen I won $9,000 per a Grant from the government.  I only needed to call another number and give them "my information".  It's sad too that someone lowers themselves to this kind of crime.

Well, I also was infected by a so called virus and a Microsoft "official" told me I needed to buy a special cleaner.  They just had me look at the event errors and it was supposed to frighten me.

First things first.  If he got into your computer they want financial and Identity information.  I doubt they actually put a virus on the computer since they got in the old fashioned way. Trust of someone helping. This burns me up.  So check her credit cards and bank accounts and all of that and notify officials as soon as you can. 

Check with social security to be sure they aren't diverting her direct deposit. There is an online site called my social security that is helpful with that.  Or, just call social security immediately. They can put a hold or pause on anyone making changes with he payments.

What else? Hm.  Those are the two biggies.  Call the credit card people/bank/ social security and also any online groups she may not want another person accessing.  Change all of her user ID's and passwords.  It's a big hassle but if they find any sort of path to money or property or online purchases, of course you need to nip that in the bud right now.  Tell your mom she's OK and shes not the first one scammed by these predictors with no soul. Good luck. I'd change her phone numbers too and email.

As for a virus. Malware-bytes is best. But I would use at least two other anti malware programs to double check.  Use familiar ones such as Norton, or bit defender, or Kapersky and most can let you do free scans. Don't keep them all on the computer running in real time or that will slow your computer.  If it's all clear tell your mom to tell you if the computer is acting in any way different.  Be sure she has a good firewall up in her router. (preinstalled usually).  You can also set her computer to not let anyone take remote control of it.  I'd do that too in case she forgets because these guys always come back to victims and try to get even more money. 

If she has a system image or if its not too much hassle the best thing would be to reinstall everything.  I know it's lots of work but these people are sophisticated idiots,. if you know what I mean.  Tell her it happens to the best of us and not just the elderly.  good luck! Rob

#3 Robert House

Robert House

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:14 PM

Sorry, I forgot something important. Be extra sure she is safe in her home and will not open her door to any stranger. Basically, if she didn't initiate a contact of any kind then it's highly auspicious under these circumstances.  It's not unheard of, of the home getting robbed after one of the incidences. They may think she's frail and at home with her jewelry and God knows what else they might think.  Keep her safe but try not to alarm her either. Make a police report too. This puts her home on the radar for officials to know that this happened and they need to watch out for her.  OK I feel for you, it's a terrible thing, but if you cover all the bases here you'll probably not have this happen again and Mom will be secure via internet too. Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users