Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-virus software and tools

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 AMD_man

AMD_man

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:14 PM

So, first of all, I'm sorry about this post, I'm sure it's been spoken about before. I was just wandering if you could give me a list of must-have software and tools to protect a PC completely. I've read the post about Anti-virus "resources" but I find it hard to understand, since I don't fully understand what kind of viruses you can get on a computer. Other than Malware and Spyware I have no idea. I don't expect a full answer. Maybe a link to a good topic will do. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:26 AM

As most of us have various Programs and Methods in keeping Safe .

You can start by looking here  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/keep-your-computer-safe-online/

If you need further assistance in other choices just post back and someone can direct you further.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:42 AM

...I don't fully understand what kind of viruses you can get on a computer. Other than Malware and Spyware I have no idea.

You may want to read...The best defensive strategy to protect yourself from malware is a comprehensive approach...make sure you are running an updated anti-virus and anti-malware product, update all vulnerable software, disable VSSAdmin.exe, use supplemental security tools with anti-exploitation features capable of stopping (preventing) infection before it can cause any damage and routinely backup your data.Some anti-virus and anti-malware programs include built-in anti-exploitation protection. For example, Emsisoft Anti-Malware uses advanced behavior blocking analysis which is extremely difficult to penetrate...it continually monitors the behavior of all active programs looking for any anomalies that may be indicative of malicious activity and raises an alert as soon as something suspicious occurs. Emsisoft has the ability to detect unknown zero-day attacks and file-encrypting malware (ransomware) attacks.

ESET Antivirus and Smart Security uses a Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) to monitor system activity with a pre-defined set of rules to recognize suspicious system behavior. When this type of activity is identified, HIPS stops the offending program from carrying out potentially harmful activity. ESET Antivirus (and Smart Security) includes Exploit Blocker which is designed to fortify applications that are often exploited, such as web browsers, PDF readers, email clients or MS Office components. This feature monitors the behavior of processes, looks for and blocks suspicious activities that are typical for exploits including zero-day attacks. ESET's Java Exploit Blocker looks for and blocks attempts to exploit vulnerabilities in Java.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium includes a real-time Protection Module that uses advanced heuristics scanning technology to monitor your system and prevent the installation of most new malware, stopping malware distribution at the source. This technology dynamically blocks malware sites & servers, prevents the execution of malware, proactively monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer.

If you have not done so already, you also may want to read:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 AMD_man

AMD_man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:30 PM

Great that was really helpful. I´ve read the links you posted. Sorry it took a while but I was a bit busy. I disabled VSSAdmin and I am currently using:

-AVAST free

-Malwarebytes Anti-Malware free

-Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit free

The reason I didn´t buy them is because I can´t. I just finished building my PC and after buying Windows I´m broke. Do you think I should add something else or that´s enough? If so, what else should I add? Is there a list of Software I can use to protect my PC? I not, could you think of one? It would be really helpful. Thanks.

PS: Yes, I´ve read the links, but there are so many options and different Virus types that reading it once is not enough, so I just wanted to know what your recommendations are.

Thanks again.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 02:34 PM

We understand that not everyone can afford to purchase various types of protection so they must rely on free software.

avast! Free Antivirus has been becoming more of a disappointment for the past several years and I no longer recommend it.If folks are looking for a free alternative I generally recommend recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if they prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender.

Important Fact: The user is the first and last line of defense and security is a constant effort to stay one step ahead of the bad guys. No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice safe computing and stay informed.

Security is all about layers, and not depending on any one technology or approach to detect or save you from the latest threats. The most important layer in that security defense? You! Most threats succeed because they take advantage of human weaknesses (laziness, apathy, ignorance, etc.), and less because of their sophistication.

Krebs on Security

Unfortunately, it as been proven time and again that the user is a more substantial factor (weakest link) in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software. No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice safe computing and stay informed. Knowledge and the ability to use it is the best defensive tool anyone can have.

#6 AMD_man

AMD_man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:56 PM

avast! Free Antivirus has been becoming more of a disappointment for the past several years and I no longer recommend it.

Already unninstalled it.

Thanks. This has been really helpful. I´ll try to donate sometime. Thanks again!

Also maybe in a month or so I´ll buy an Antivirus. If I do, which one would you recommend?

Edited by AMD_man, 29 July 2016 - 10:00 PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 06:24 AM

I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason.

ESET and Emsisoft Anti-Malware also have the added advantage of blocking the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature.

#8 AMD_man

AMD_man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 08:17 AM

Ok I'll keep them in mind. Thanks again for the help!

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:25 AM

You're welcome.

#10 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 03:52 PM

With regards 'must have' specific security tools as mentioned/inquired by the topic starter, I haven't yet seen any recommendations or discussions concerning the importance of using separate Anti-logging (keystroke protection) software like the one offered for free by Zemana (which I have installed myself). Just wondering if this is something that is worth making mention of as a credible suggestion for being a means of further enhancing security? 

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:34 PM

While there are Anti-Keylogger tools, I personally have never found the need to use any of them since anti-virus software that is kept up to date can prevent or detect most of them. Although, hardware keyloggers are harder to detect by traditional anti-virus solutions since they do not install any malicious code...see Keyloggers, pros and cons.

However, I see nothing wrong if someone wants to add keystroke protection software to their security tool kit.

Anti-Keylogger Tools

#12 AMD_man

AMD_man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:21 PM

Listen quietman7, I didn't want to push it, I didn't know how you'd react. I thought you'd get all "read other threads and stop posting", but if you had to make a list of software, what would you choose (including things like the keylogger blocker or whatever). Even if you think they are not vital please include them. Thanks in advance!

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:36 PM

List of Free Scan & Disinfection Tools to supplement your anti-virus or get a second opinion
Zemana AntiLogger Free

#14 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:42 AM

The link you gave for Zemana AntiLogger Free has a spelling mistake on the registration page! The word "adress". 

I would also expect 'google' to be spelled with a capital "G".

After running a quick VirusTotal URL scan, no threats were found, so I guess the page is legit.

Am somewhat bemused at such an oversight in grammar and spelling, though, from a vendor such as Zemana. Sloppy, to say the least!

The information given on the page informs us that the old 'free' version (itself) no longer exists. But, instead, makes an offer to install their upgraded/updated PREMIUM version (inc. A/V scanner!) for free... and better still, the license they are offering is for LIFE!

Thanks for the info given by yourself on this thread, QMan.....all extremely useful to me!

Edited by robby501, 03 August 2016 - 04:24 AM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

#15 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:48 AM

Hope my presence on this thread isn't over-intrusive, but I just got one more thing to add....

The offer Zemana are currently making of a life-time license to using their Antilogger premium and scanning tools for FREE must surely be worth considering for any pc user! I just got my product license key and am a happy bunny right now!   :busy:

Whilst the A/V side of things doesn't offer real-time protection, this tool has got me out of some 'scrapes' in the past and I'd personally recommend it to anyone....certainly the more novice users who are looking for a solid second-line of defense against malware.

Edited by robby501, 03 August 2016 - 04:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users