Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows suddenly very slow, ruled out virus/malware

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 btkuhn777

btkuhn777

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 07:40 PM

Hi there,

My 5-month old Dell Laptop running Windows 7 began running very slowly about 4 days ago, and I can't figure out why. Even basic tasks like web browsing, viewing videos, using itunes, etc are much slower than usual and video is choppy and unwatchable. I've tried the following troubleshooting steps:

Ran Avast full scan
Ran malwarebytes
Checked startup programs, nothing unusual, and very few programs start on system boot
Ran Windows update
Checked device manager, nothing out of order
Deleted temp files. My hard drive is not close to full.
Disk defrag already runs weekly
Ran chkdsk to test for hard drive issues

When I open task manager to see what's using CPU, it's not anything abnormal - if I have chrome open with 4 tabs, each chrome process will be using ~20 percent of the CPU, roughly evenly distributed. If VLC media player is open it will use 40 percent or so and then Chrome will be using less. But the total stays around 100. This is abnormal - normally, I can have 20-30 tabs open easily with no performance issues, along with itunes, vlc, etc. This slowness persists even when I have hardly any programs running. I've tried using firefox rather than chrome, no difference.

I have not recently installed any software. The only thing that is at all somewhat abnormal is that my battery seems to be getting ready to die - I've been getting messages that it's charging, but needs to be replaced. However,there is no difference in speed or performance even if I remove the battery, use only the powercord, and reboot.

Any ideas? I don't know what else to try other than a complete refresh and reinstallation of windows, but I'd prefer not to do this if possible.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 btkuhn777

btkuhn777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:23 PM

Ok, I'm an idiot. I was using the wrong AC adapter, and I guess not providing adequate power to the computer. Switched it back and it's fixed. Please disregard.

#3 sankalppatil

sankalppatil

• Banned Spammer
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:33 AM

Commonly this happens when a hard drive returns to PIO mode after Windows chooses it has seen a couple of blunders from the drive. You can confirm this by taking a gander at the properties of the IDE Controller to which the drive is associated in gadget director.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:38 AM

Commonly this happens when a hard drive returns to PIO mode after Windows chooses it has seen a couple of blunders from the drive. You can confirm this by taking a gander at the properties of the IDE Controller to which the drive is associated in gadget director.

Apparently you missed the post previous to yours.  The OP stated that they had resolved the problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users