Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could not find this item. This is no longer located in computer. Verify the item

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 dusabrive

dusabrive

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:57 PM

I'm having a problem manually backing up a folder that contains many smaller folders, files, documents, photos etc to an external hard drive.  Things got convoluted and complicated when during the initial copying attempt,  my computer accidently shut down.  From that point on, the situation snowballed after I trashed the first copy folder attempt.  Long story short,  I've made numerous copies, attempted to drag them manually to the external hard drive (E), wasn't able to do it, renamed them and then dragged them back to the desktop and now I have a problem I can't resolve.

For the sake of simplicity, I have 2 folders named "BackUp files". One is on my C drive and the other is on my E drive (external hard drive).  They're  both the exact same size and have the exact number of folders and files on them.

I'm attempting to copy the one on my desktop to the external hard drive as insurance because even though they both open, I don't know which one may be tainted.  (I really don't want to lose this information.)  For example, I can't drag the folder on my desktop to the E (external) drive because I get the following message:  "COULD NO FIND THIS ITEM.  THIS IS NO LONGER LOCATED IN THE COMPUTER.  VERIFY THE ITEM LOCATION AND TRY AGAIN.

How can I resolve this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:17 PM

Hello

It may be that the folder moved. Right-click on the Desktop > Refresh and if the BackUp Files folder is missing on the Desktop, it means it was moved to the E drive. You can also use command prompt to verify.

Run the command below:

cd "%UserProfile%\Desktop\BackUp files"

If the command says that the "system can not find the file or directory/folder specified", then it is not on the Desktop

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 dusabrive

dusabrive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:35 PM

In my desperation to correct the situation, I've created a real mess.     I started out having  the original folder on my desktop and I was trying to copy it to the external hard drive as a back up;  Every month or so, I swap  the folder on the  desk top with the folder on the external hard drive.  This is how I manually back up.   

When the message appeared:  "the folder wasn't on the computer etc....", I then dragged it to the c drive.  So now there are actually 3 folders.  

I did  alot of renaming and dragging;  I now realize that the folder on the external hard drive is "bigger" than the other two ( c drive and desktop) .  The one on the external hard drive is  the one I want to keep.  But just to be sure that I can drag it back after I upgrade to Windows 10,  I attempted to drag it back to the desktop now but I still get the original "Could not find this item. This is no longer located in computer. Verify the item location and try again."  message.  I don't know how to ensure that I'll be able to drag the the folder I want to keep (E)  back to the desktop after I upgrade to Windows 10.

Lastly, if this isn't confusing enough the folder on the c drive has a different name than the other two.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:58 PM

Recommend you please stop doing the same thing over and over and over and expecting different results.

Two of the finest hardware and software gurus here in BC are Hamlius and dc3.  There are others, however, I know these two are at the top 10%.  Wait until they weigh in -- follow their advice to the letter -- they will not steer you wrong.  I am a DOS/Windows Explorer guru to a limited extent -- if I can remember any solution that worked in the past, I'll post it.  Again, I recommend you please stop doing the same thing over and over and over and expecting different results.

Edited by RolandJS, 26 July 2016 - 08:58 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 09:03 PM

On another computer, are you able to make a Puppy Linux boot usb or DVD?  Or, on another computer, can you make any sort of usb or DVD boot that includes a Folder and File search & copy  utility?  I'm concerned the more Windows is used, the more drag this, drag that, the more chances your folder/file stuff will be overwritten.  I'm hoping that an external boot with folder/file search and copy utility, you can actually find the now-missing material and copy said material to any external media you trust.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#6 dusabrive

dusabrive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 09:22 PM

I don't really know how to make an external boot with a folder/file search and copy utility (or where to even get that type of utility, to be  honest with you);  But if someone could walk me through how to go about it, I'm sure that I could do it.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:00 PM

I don't know how to walk you through it;  somewhere in this board are a couple of excellent Tutorials and threads that will give you a printable menu, a step by step guide, of either a Puppy Linux boot or how to search for and find your missing folders/files and how to copy said material onto an external media such as a HD.

However, there might be a easier but long-winded solution.  If you know just one or two specific data files [and their extensions], you can use Explorer's search to hopefully find that one or two files.  If those files exist, the others probably are aok too.  Once that directory containing those two files are known to you, regardless of which HD they're on, regardless if they are on both HDs, you can carefully, slowly, copy and paste each discovered directory onto any trusted external media.  I take it you have layers and layers of directories.  Ok, after copying one directory to a safe place, go to another directory just above or just below the copied one -- copy and paste that directory to your trusted external media.

After one by one by one - safely copied - consider two things:

-- vastly simplifying your data directory structure

-- getting Macrium Reflect pay-for version and begin making images of your data folders and files

#8 dusabrive

dusabrive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:14 PM

Would running a program like c- cleaner or recuva help?

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:20 PM

Would running a program like c- cleaner or recuva help?

Piriform's Recuva is a good idea, however, remember, if your data folders and files are not deleted but only in a different place -- Recuva probably will not help you.  Explorer or another search utility may be the best thing to try first.

#10 dusabrive

dusabrive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:08 AM

Would running chkdsk on the external hard drive as the admin help?

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:34 AM

Would running chkdsk on the external hard drive as the admin help?

Unless somebody in the league with Hamlius or dc3 recommends such, I would not run chkdsk.  You're going to have to take a long time with a search utility to locate your data folders and files one folder at a time.  And save one folder at a time via Copy and Paste onto any external media you trust.  I know of no fast silver bullet at this point.  I think once you find one or two recent, good condition, data files, and Copy and Paste same as I mentioned earlier, you will be on your way to successfully recover your remaining data folders and files.

Edited by RolandJS, 27 July 2016 - 11:40 AM.

#12 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:41 AM

Hello

The problem with chkdsk is that it will only try to recover sectors. The problem that you are having seems to be more of an issue with explorer.

Could you run dir along with the path each of those backup folders. Ex:

dir "C:\Backup Folder"

If it gives an error, let us know

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#13 dusabrive

dusabrive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:05 PM

Would running  sfc/scannow help?

#14 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:09 PM

You could, but it likely won'f fix the problem. System File Checker (SFC) checks to see if system files aren't corrupted.

The likelihood of the exact files that cause explorer to not find files being corrupt is ... extremely low

Did you run the dir command the way I suggested you to? Does it show the contents of the backup folder or does it give an error?

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#15 dusabrive

dusabrive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:25 PM

I ran dir command and it couldn't find anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users