Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Potential BIOS Password?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BoneDaddyDiesel

BoneDaddyDiesel

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:59 PM

Hey guys,
My name is Roy and I'm new here. This is actually my first post on the forum. I've been wanting to find a good forum for some time now since I've had lots of questions and I figured this would be a good time because I have a stumper. I'm a computer technician and work for a high volume repair facility. We get tons of machines in every day for all kinds of problems and we service and repair just about anything from virus removal, replacing parts, phone repair, etc.

Now on to the main point; I have a customer's machine in, it is a Toshiba Satellite E45t-B4300. It initially came in because of a no start condition. The customer said it gave him a hard drive failure error message and it wouldn't load Windows. I was able to boot the machine into USB and was able to run my diagnostic software on it. After running my diagnostics I confirmed the hard drive was failing. The customer approved a new hard drive and a fresh install of Windows. But after putting the new hard drive in the machine simply will not let me boot into USB anymore. It won't let me do anything, I can't even access the boot menu, nor the BIOS. It shows the Toshiba logo for a quick second and then when it tries to do something I am immediately prompted with the system wanting a password.

I decided to post this in the hardware section because it seems likely it may be a legit BIOS password. Though I am skeptical of this for many reasons. The customer did not set a BIOS password number one, number two it did not prompt me for this the first time around as I was able to boot to USB and run my diagnostics, number three this didn't happen until after I took out the old hard drive and put the new one in, and number four being I've never seen a BIOS password prompt that looked like this. Attached File  20160726_154654.jpg   119.63KB   0 downloads

Just hoping someone has maybe had a similar issue or could shed some light on this. I'm leaning towards some type of virus, but I am not ruling out some type of BIOS or hard drive password just yet. Is it possible for the BIOS to detect a hardware/hard drive change and lock itself up even without the owner ever setting any type of system password? The only other question I have is does anyone know how to reset the BIOS on this specific model in hopes that this will solve the problem? Any help or any kind of ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BoneDaddyDiesel

BoneDaddyDiesel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:34 PM

Never mind, turns out my client remembered that he did set a BIOS password so we are good.

Ignore this thread, if anyone knows how to delete your own topics please let me know.

Cheers!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:54 PM

No need to delete, it's not SOP at this website.

Glad you resolved stated issue...happy computing :).

Louis

#4 nkim5252

nkim5252

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:07 AM

Hey BoneDaddyDiesel,

Glad to see that the problem has been rectified. Do keep in mind though, that whenever you are having issues such as these, look to resetting the CMOS as it stores BIOS values. This works on mostly all desktops and some laptops.

Do keep in mind though that some laptops come with a IC which is a small chip that is soldered on to the motherboard for the purpose of theft protection. Other times, it will be stored on the hard drive. Your best bet is to contact the manufacturer and provide a serial number to obtain a master key that unlocks the BIOS.

Hope this helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users