Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Use wireless keyboards? this may make you go wired again

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:06 PM

http://www.zdnet.com/article/millions-of-wireless-keyboards-at-risk-of-spying-by-hackers-in-new-attack/?ftag=TRE17cfd61&bhid=26386582133954609784880949383528

Sheesh interesting stuff, sure ZDnet isnt my favorite source but man this is really nasty stuff.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:19 PM

Well, at least I have wireless mouse so they can't find my passwords

Seriously, we need to switch to Bluetooth keyboard. The Bluetooth protocol is far far more secure than the proprietary protocol used by my mouse.

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:25 AM

Sheesh that's pretty terrifying. Add on the fact there is no fix, I think we should move to Bluetooth ASAP.

#4 parin

parin

• Banned Spammer
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:09 AM

It looks like time to throw away all our wireless devices including mobile phones.. Keysniffer can sniff data from as far away as 250ft.. thats like from the far end of your street.. read an interesting analysis of the Keysniffer .. an eye opener actually..

https://cyware.co/journal/how-keysniffer-sniff-private-data/

#5 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:16 AM

It looks like time to throw away all our wireless devices including mobile phones.. Keysniffer can sniff data from as far away as 250ft.. thats like from the far end of your street.. read an interesting analysis of the Keysniffer .. an eye opener actually..

https://cyware.co/journal/how-keysniffer-sniff-private-data/

They both mention the same thing :) As for it getting data from phones, it did not mention that at all. All it mentioned was that Keysniffer can get data from wireless keyboards that send out packets of which key you press without encrypting it, and Bluetooth requires encryption because it is part of the standard. Manufacturers can add encryption to their own proprietary protocols as well

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#6 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 08:53 PM

This has been covered. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/611442/encasing-a-computer-completely-no-transmissions/page-2#entry3984507

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:36 PM

Thank you. I have always been a champions for wired configurations, whether mouse, keyboard or internet. Now I have something to show them when my friends show off there fancy wireless devices. :devil: I have heard some people say that new Bluetooth can have less latency because it doesn't have to go through the USB bus? Any truth to that?

Edited by Trikein, 28 July 2016 - 09:36 PM.

#8 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:44 PM

Bluetooth never went through USB bus, unless you use a bluetooth USB dongle, in which case, moving from USB 2 to USB 3 dongle will help :)

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#9 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:55 PM

Bluetooth never went through USB bus, unless you use a bluetooth USB dongle, in which case, moving from USB 2 to USB 3 dongle will help :)

-CKing

That was the point. Bluetooth didn't have to go through USB bus(bus bus?) impying that it had a more direct connecting through to the OS, meaning hypothetically lower latency. It was a article on lifehacker i think but I can't find it. Either way, I am still staying wired. I love my M65!

#10 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:58 PM

i wonder if something like Keyscrambler would stop this?

#11 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:46 PM

The problem with that is, you can't use the keyboard either :wink: That is where encryption comes in. Encryption allows the computer and the keyboard to communicate, but if someone does manage to get the packets, they can't figure out anything

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#12 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:56 PM

i wonder if something like Keyscrambler would stop this?

Deep, Real-time Encryption. https://www.qfxsoftware.com/ks-windows/how-it-works.htm

The moment you begin typing, KeyScrambler begins encrypting each character instantly at the keyboard driver level, deep in the Windows kernel. The timing and location makes it difficult for keyloggers to bypass KeyScrambler's protection.

The key strokes will leak before encrypted at the keyboard driver level.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#13 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:59 PM

Yes, but that will not help! It could stop a keylogger, but anything outside the OS is out of its control! Key strokes sent over wirelessly can be intercepted, and those can't be encrypted if the protocol doesn't use encryption :(

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#14 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:50 AM

Bleh, that is horrible.

Thankfully, I'm still loving my G710 Wired (and oh-so-pretty) keyboard.

Good to know about this though, so thanks for the post.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#15 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:57 PM

-CKing

On my laptop with build-in Bluetooth, the Bluetooth device is connected via USB. If I go in the Device Manager, I can see my Bluetooth device has a USB VID and PID.

And it also appears in the list generated by Nirsoft's USBDeview:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users