Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XFINITY SLow Speeds

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Bennett

Eric Bennett

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:37 PM

Hi everyone,

It's been awhile since I've touched this forum, but I really can't find the answer to this myself.

I am subscribed to Xfinity Triple Play (TV, Internet, Voice) which includes Blast! with speeds of 105Mbps. 

I am getting nowhere near that speed with peak being 34 down and 12 up on a good day. Usually I'm stuck at 3Mbps down with my upload still at 12.

I've had techs come out and run new wire from the ground block, put an amp in, and upgrade the ALL my devices. When I talk to support, they recommend power cycling everything or they  send a "refresh signal."

I'm at a complete loss, I honestly think I'm being throttled.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

- Eric (ebthepcguy)

Eric Bennett (ebthepcguy) | Helping People One Post At A Time | YouTube Twitter Facebook Email me | Forum Rules Homepage | My Profile

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:52 PM

What model modem and router do you have? How are you measuring your speed? What speeds do you get direct to the modem? 

Last, what are you signal levels? Should be able to find them at 192.168.100.1. Amps on cable modems=bad..

#3 Eric Bennett

Eric Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 01:28 PM

The device is a Cisco DPC3941T provided by Comcast.

Speeds from a direct connection are as follows;

(XFINITY Speed Test)

Test 1: 34.23Mbps Download, 12.13Mbps Upload.

Test 2: 24.22Mbps Download, 11.99Mbps Upload.

IPv6 shows slower speeds at 6.49Mbps down, 11.84Mbps up.

Signal Status (Simplified status page so it would fit):

Untitled.png

The device is connected to the amp, but it is on the unamplified output.

Eric Bennett (ebthepcguy) | Helping People One Post At A Time | YouTube Twitter Facebook Email me | Forum Rules Homepage | My Profile

#4 Eric Bennett

Eric Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 01:48 PM

Alot of times, the SNR on channel 2 dips to 16dB. Should I get a few 75ohm terminators and screw them on the splitter?

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:02 PM

Your signal levels are absolutely horrible. Technician never should have left IMO. SNR should not be below 35. See here for more info on signal levels.

"Should I get a few 75ohm terminators and screw them on the splitter?

Do you have a splitter with un-used ports? If so, then the splitter should be replaced with one with the required ports. You really don't want any more then 1 split between the pole and the modem. Something like pole > splitter> 1 to modem > 1 to Amp > a 2/3/5 way splitter depending on how many TV outlets you have. My guess is your outlets are daisey chained. Can you describe how the coaxial splits to the different outlets in your house?

Edited by Trikein, 26 July 2016 - 02:05 PM.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:13 PM

Eric, I suggest you post in the Comcast Help Forums. If nothing else, your issue can be escalated to the forum administrator who can set the wheels in motion for a resolution.

Those Forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are Forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, CDV, billing, and customer service.
Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.

Click the link below. The forum landing page will open. Click Sign In. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the Forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken back to the landing page. PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR COMCAST EMAIL NAME FOR YOUR FORUM USER NAME.

http://forums.comcast.com/

Before posting, take a moment to read the http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Forum-Community/Forums-Policy-and-Guidelines/td-p/2618379

Then choose the appropriate board to post in. Look under XFINITY INTERNET and choose either Basic Internet Connectivity and Modem Help OR Home Networking / Router / And WiFi Gateway Help

There are connection experts who will be able to help you. If for some reason they cannot, they can tell you what you need to do/tell Comcast tech.

One thing to be aware of: By default you will be notified via email every time someone replies to a topic you have started or replied in. If you do not wish to receive the notifications you can disable them by clicking My Settings/Subscriptions & Bookmarks tab. Uncheck the box next to Automatically subscribe me to topics I participate in. Scroll down and click Save.

DO NOT USE THE UNSUBSCRIBE LINK IN THE REPLY NOTIFICATION EMAIL. Due to a quirk with Lithium, the forum provider, if you use the link it severs the connection between your forum user name and the email address you sign in with.
Result: your forum account no longer exists in the database and it tells you that you are banned.

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites/bookmarks. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

Two topics for you to read
http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/td-p/1253575

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Information-Requested-for-Connection-Related-Posts/td-p/1253381 which will tell you what information to post.

If you have any questions about the Comcast forum, you can ask me here or there, where I have the same user name as I do here.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 July 2016 - 02:18 PM.

#7 Eric Bennett

Eric Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:27 PM

I will be posting in the XFINITY forums, but I feel the need to post the atrocious wiring.

IMG_20160726_151142_1.jpg

IMG_20160726_151131_1.jpgOo

Out 4: Bedroom TV, Disconnected. Out 2: Living Room TV Out 1: Basement TV, -4dB Output, VoIP, Modem, Router Combo.

IMG_20160726_151305_1.jpg

This is the bodge job for the phone line.

IMG_20160726_151441_1.jpg Fi

Finally, this is the modem router voip combo. It has yet another bodge.

#8 Eric Bennett

Eric Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:36 PM

For anyone wishing to help, here is the XFINITY Forum link.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Terrible-Signal-Terrible-Wiring-Intermittent-Internet-Speed/td-p/2778196

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:50 PM

I'll make sure your post at Comcast does not get overlooked. If there is no reply by tomorrow morning I'll prod the connection experts to look at it.

#10 Eric Bennett

Eric Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:19 PM

Update: I have installed new coax to replace the older RG-59 with RG-6, installed 75ohm caps, and installed a new ground block outside since the current one was showing age.

Speeds are holding steady at 105+Mbps down. Downstream and upstream levels are now in the acceptable levels, and TV does not cut out as it did before.

I think I've fixed the problem, I'll post an update in a day or so.

#11 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:39 PM

Ahh how tricky. I thought the wiring in the picture was new, but did the technician just recap old RG59? Tsk tsk. Hope you didn't have to pay for that install. Good job rolling up your sleeves and fixing it yourself. Can you post your new signal levels for review? 

Also, is Comcast forum for customers only?

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:48 PM

Also, is Comcast forum for customers only?

Yes. Anyone can view it but only Comcast customers can post there.
Sign in is tied to Comcast accounts.

Eric, please follow-up with EG and post the signal stats.
If anything is wonky, he will let you know. EG is very good when it comes to trouble shooting connection issues.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 July 2016 - 06:53 PM.

#13 Eric Bennett

Eric Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:53 AM

Well, the issue still exists. Downstream channel 2 has no lock and has an SNR of 5.438 dB. Other channels are now beginning to drop out as well. Lost DS channel 3.

#14 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:09 PM

I agree with EG you need a technician. One thing you might do to isolate the issue is connect the modem direct into the line coming from the pole and see what your signal levels are then. If your SNR is still below 35 then you know the problem is outside. Last, when you call for the technician, ask for a re-work of the installation(or what ever they call it). Not only will this count against the technician (it should, they were lazy) but it will make sure you aren't charged for any possible internal wiring issues left by the technician. EG would be able to tell specifics.

Edited by Trikein, 27 July 2016 - 01:14 PM.

#15 Eric Bennett

Eric Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:41 PM

I stuck a new modem in and got this:

almged.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users