Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Repair Corrupt Files

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 leatherneck_69

leatherneck_69

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:33 AM

I cannot run windows update as it keeps scanning but doesn't download updates. I tried to search for hardware updates through the Device Manager and it does the same thing, and when I try to stop the scan it does nothing and the diolog screen freezes up and I have to to use the task manager to close the diolog box. I wiped my computer 3 times already but it's still happening. I'm running windows 7 Premium 64 bit.

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.log   848.29KB   2 downloads

Edited by hamluis, 26 July 2016 - 11:46 AM.
Moved from MRL to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:05 PM

I am assuming this is a clean install of Windows 7.

Manually download and install IE11 and .NET 4.6.1

Install the April 2016 rollup package which requires the site to be accessed in IE. This will install all updates and fixes up to April 2016

See the following page. Manually download and install the updates listed as well as one of the current Windows Update Client

http://wu.krelay.de/en/

If it seems the updates hang during install then disable the Windows Update Service or reboot and immediately install the updates as the Windows Update Service has a delayed start. Install the updates and re-enable the Update Service if you disabled it. Reboot the computer and search for additional updates

#3 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:36 PM

Hi leatherneck_69 and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer

First of all, I noticed a few corrupt files. Most of those were music, videos, or pictures. Did you run some kind of program to check for duplicate pictures, etc? Anyways here is the fix:

SFCFix Fix

This fix is very specific for leatherneck_69's computer. Trying this fix on your own computer might damage your computer. If you are after assistance, create a new thread, and you will be assisted shortly.

Download SFCFix (by niemiro) and move the executable on your Desktop.

Download SFCFix.zip fix from here and move the archive to your Desktop

Note: Make sure that the file is named SFCFix.zip, do not rename it.

Save any work you have open, and close every programs

Drag the SFCFix.zip file over the SFCFix.exe executable and release it

mMabJGT.gif

SFCFix will launch, let it complete

Once done, a file will appear on your Desktop, called SFCFix.txt

Open the file, then copy and paste its content in your next reply

After you have run the fix, do another SFC scan:

SFC Scan

1. Click on Start Button and type cmd. When Command Prompt appears, right-click on it, and click Run as Administrator

2. When command prompt opens, Copy (Ctrl+C) and Paste (Right-click > Paste) the following command into it, then press Enter

sfc /scannow

3. Once it finishes, copy and paste the following into the command-prompt window and press Enter.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"

4. Once this has completed please go to your Desktop and you will find CBS.txt => Right-click on this file and choose Send To...Compressed (zipped folder). Please upload this zipped file CBS.zip to this thread

Please Note:: if the file is too big to upload to your next post please upload via a service such as Dropbox or One Drive or SendSpace and just provide the link.

I will take look at the attached CBS.txt and see if there are any further corruptions. After we have fixed the corruptions, you can follow @JohnC_21's excellent post on the update issues on Windows 7.

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#4 leatherneck_69

leatherneck_69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:18 PM

If anyone knows how I can fix this please help me. I'm running Windows 7 Premium 64 bit

Attached Files

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 July 2016 - 02:47 PM.
originally posted as separate top in Malware Removal Logs. Since it contains the requested log, it has been merged into this topic. Please keep all discussion of your issue in this topic instead of posting logs elsewhere.

#5 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:44 PM

Hi

Since you ran SFCFix.txt already, I suggest that you run SFC again and post the CBS log to get a fresh log to create a fix from:

SFC Scan

1. Click on Start startorb.gif and type cmd. When Command Prompt appears, right-click on it, and click Run as Administrator

2. When command prompt opens, Copy (Ctrl+C) and Paste (Right-click > Paste) the following command into it, then press Enter

sfc /scannow

3. Once it finishes, copy and paste the following into the command-prompt window and press Enter.

4. Once this has completed please go to your Desktop and you will find CBS.txt => Right-click on this file and choose Send To...Compressed (zipped folder). Please upload this zipped file CBS.zip to this thread

Please Note:: if the file is too big to upload to your next post please upload via a service such as Dropbox or One Drive or SendSpace and just provide the link.

-CKing

Edited by CKing123, 26 July 2016 - 02:44 PM.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#6 leatherneck_69

leatherneck_69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:03 PM

I hope this helps.

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.zip   82.88KB   1 downloads

#7 leatherneck_69

leatherneck_69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:24 PM

Here is another listing of my last events

Attached Files

• Attached File  MTB.txt   12.12KB   1 downloads

#8 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:34 PM

Hello

Could you describe your problems again? Anyways, here is the fix:

SFCFix Fix

This fix is very specific for leatherneck_69's computer. Trying this fix on your own computer might damage your computer. If you are after assistance, create a new thread, and you will be assisted shortly.

mMabJGT.gif

SFC Scan

1. Click on Start Button and type cmd. When Command Prompt appears, right-click on it, and click Run as Administrator

sfc /scannow

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#9 leatherneck_69

leatherneck_69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:44 PM

I cannot install windows update, nor can I go online to search for hardware. I run windows update but all it does is scan. When I try to update hardware online through the device manager it does the same thing and don't allow me to stop the search and I have to use task manager to close the dialog screen. I also have problems with my windows display, I keep getting the error message the "display driver has stopped responding but has recovered". Computer often freezes up also.

#10 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for the info. I am looking into it

In the mean time, could you run this fix:

Hello

SFCFix Fix

mMabJGT.gif

SFC Scan

sfc /scannow

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#11 leatherneck_69

leatherneck_69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:50 PM

I just ran sfcfix and come up with this.

Attached Files

#12 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:52 PM

Hi

You did not drag the fix file over SFCFix, so it could not do the repairs

Please follow these instructions exactly:

Hello

SFCFix Fix

mMabJGT.gif

SFC Scan

sfc /scannow

-CKing

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#13 leatherneck_69

leatherneck_69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:01 PM

I'm sorry, I'm very new to this, I'm not sure what you're asking me to do.

Edited by hamluis, 26 July 2016 - 05:49 PM.

#14 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:22 PM

Since you already downloaded SFCFix.exe, you can skip that step. You also need to download SFCFix.zip. The zip archive has the replacement files that SFCFix will use to copy over the files. Once you have downloaded both of them, move them to Desktop, and drag SFCFix.zip over SFCFix.exe. Let it finish, and it will create SFCFix.txt, which is a text file. Open it, and copy and paste everything in it.

Then, run SFC again and attach the CBS log

SFCFix Fix

mMabJGT.gif

SFC Scan

sfc /scannow

-CKing

If you are still having confusion, let me know

-CKing

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users