Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Hard Drive is Beeping

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dj505

dj505

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:06 AM

Hi all! So a while back, I posted about a supposedly fried PC. I narrowed the problem down to it being a dead drive, replaced the drive, and the beeping stopped. But after placing the drive in an external enclosure to test it with my Windows PC, I realized that the thing beeping was really the hard drive and not my PC. Never seen that before, so I figured I'd ask about it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 09:16 PM

Hard drives have two motors in them, one to spin the platters and the other to move the heads in and out over the platter surface.  From time to time the head position and spinning platter can set up a harmonic vibration.  I have seen drives that failed to find the clock track on startup and continued to move the heads in and out in an effort to find the track.  Those repeated head movements created a beeping sound.  In some units with removable platters, the head movements are intentional, the beep indicating the drive is ready.  But usually only one beep.

Edited by mjd420nova, 26 July 2016 - 09:17 PM.

#3 dj505

dj505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:05 PM

The drive doesn't pup up under windows explorer, and powers down after about 15 seconds. Beeping is fairly high pitched, too.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:24 AM

The drive is dead. Some drives beep, some click (the "click of death"), as the heads seek and fail to load the initialization data as mjd420nova mentioned.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 dj505

dj505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:48 AM

Well, the drive was old anyway, and the only thing on it was a lightweight Linux install with not a lot on it. I've now got the exact same setup but now on a 3TB drive.

Edited by hamluis, 27 July 2016 - 11:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users