Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 2012 R2

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gadgetto

Gadgetto

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 09:21 AM

Hello guys, girls and everyone else in the middle. I want to setup a network at home with a 2012 R2 server that i will use for network security management software testing and learning(NIDS/NIPS, sniffers, filters etc...) . there are numerous devices connected to the network and there are random mobile devices. i need to have access control only using single factor authentication namely username and password to the server as the gateway. this is a difficult task for me as i have never done this before. theoretically i should know how but i don't (Recent owner of Security+, MCSE, N+ etc....

Please assist with configuration

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:39 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

I don't think you're going to get much help on a forum for setting up a server, even for home use, as there are so many different factors involved.  I could spend a day talking about setting up users and groups.  I haven't run a home server since last century when I had both a Novell and Microsoft server running.

I think you would be better served opening a new topic when you have a specific question.  You might want to pick up a Microsoft Server 2012 certification study book to get you started in the right direction.

The initial setup isn't much different than installing any other flavor of Windows.

I'm not real clear on what you want this server to do, other than user authentication.  DHCP? Routing? 

#3 Gadgetto

Gadgetto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:55 PM

Thanks Kil as far as windows installation and assigning roles I'm clued up thats not what i was asking. i have already started  so i will open new topics that will be more specific when i run into those issues.

ill keep you updated as to my progress and purpose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users