Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba laptop won't start up, black screen, white line... I need help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mappymoldyhead

mappymoldyhead

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:41 AM

Hi, I have a Toshiba laptop (Satellite C850), while in use it just shut off and now when I turn it on it will start up to a black screen with a white line in the left hand corner of the screen then after a few seconds it will turn off and then start back up with the same white line and then turn off again and then restart and so on. It will do this and won't stop unless I turn the power button off. How do I fix this?? I have tried leaving it for a long while, I have tried unplugging it and taking the battery out and putting back in and turning it on again, but still no change. I can't get the boot menu up either I have tried pressing f12 and all the f buttons but nothing. I'm not very good at getting computers to work, would someone please be able to help me?

From the day I got this laptop it always had battery problems, it would always say please replace your battery and have an x on the battery sign in the task bar, and now it has gotten to the point where I can only have my laptop on with it plugged into the power cord and it will turn straight off if I shut it down. Could this play a part in what is happening now with it?

I am worried too because all my assignments and work is on my laptop, if I can't get it to start up is there any way I can save all my work that was on it?

I really hope someone can help me, thanks for reading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:06 AM

I don't have any help for troubleshooting, but as long as the HD is good you can hook it up as a 2nd HD to any other PC and browse the contents of it. You can also take it to places like Staples if you are in the US and pay them to retrieve the contents of the HD for you also. You have done pretty much all you can do troubleshooting wise..

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:43 AM

If it always had probs with the battery then that was the first step for you to act on.

Anyways Try - Take the Battery out and leave it out , hold the Power Button for 20 secs , then Plug in the power Cable and Boot.

What is the result now ? Does it boot ? Can you get into Safe Mode ? 

If not then it may be the Hard Drive.

Edited by Havachat, 27 July 2016 - 03:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users