Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Disappearing Drive / Volume Lettering workaround (Solved)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 mitchd123

mitchd123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:03 PM

I've recently solved two painful XP issues, and I wanted to share my solution to help others.

Problem #2:  

Drive Letters would not correctly appear on hard drive partitions.   There are many articles about USB drive issues, but my problem was with IDE hard drives. 

The workaround was to convert the disks from simple disks to dynamic disks.   I've tried many other things, and this actually provided a workaround for me. 

More detail:   

I was attempting to do a P2V, and the tools would only pickup the wrong volume, and the P2V would fail.  The volumes were missing letters. 

To see if you have the same problem, go into a CMD window and type the following:

DISKPART

LIST VOLUME

SELECT VOLUME 1

(or what ever volume you want)

ASSIGN LETTER=D

(or what ever letter you need to assign to volume 1)

Here I had a drive letter only showing up on some of my volumes.   Using the Disk Management tool had no impact either.   The only way I could get letters correctly assigned was by converting from simple disks to dynamic disks in Disk Management.    Essentially I think something was messed up with the boot sector, and swapping to dynamic disks caused the sectors to be re-written. 

Over the years i've used several tools which have messed with the letter assignment.....Roxio EZ-CD Creator, Daemon Tools, and even EXT2FS driver.    I've seen other posts that this is a result of removing Roxio, but Roxio is still installed.

XP seems to reserve some letters for hidden partitions.  So the lettering isn't aways logical.    Be careful not to change the lettering of your boot drive, or XP has a hard time dealing with it.   It can prevent logging on,  see the other problem I posted a few minutes ago.  

Hope this helps someone. 

keywords:

XP Disappearing Drive

Volume Lettering  

Drive enumeration

Drive numeration

Missing Letters

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users