Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hung Prior to Logon Screen (Solved)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 mitchd123

mitchd123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:39 PM

I've recently solved two painful XP issues, and I wanted to share my solution to help others.  

Problem #1:   XP Boot Drive Letters changed resulting in it being stuck prior to the login screen.   My XP system would sit there right before / prior to the logon/login prompt.   The login screen would never appear. 

This was a result of the boot drive letters changing.    The solution is as follows:

1) Start up another windows machine on the network and open Regedit

2) From Regedit, select Connect Remote Registry.  

-This will require a username password with Admin rights

- This will require the registry service be running on the troubled system. (remotely start if necessary via MMC)

- This will require the computer name or the IP address of the system.

- Wait 5 or 10 minutes for the system to boot up and services start.  

-When it's able to return a ping you should be able to connect.

- See this article for more details: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/249321

3) Go to  HKLM\System\MountedDevices and look for DosDevices and rename the appropriate letter.   Reboot and see if that solves the problem

4) If the problem persists, repeat steps 2 and 3,  then backup up the MountedDevices key, and delete all of the entries in the right pane after the "(Default)" key.    All the "#", all the "\" and \Dos keys.  Just leave the default key. 

5) If the problem still persists, boot to a XP cd and go into recovery console.   From r-console, rebuild the boot configuration. 

- additional details are available at this link:

Hope this helps someone. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users