I've recently solved two painful XP issues, and I wanted to share my solution to help others.
Problem #1: XP Boot Drive Letters changed resulting in it being stuck prior to the login screen. My XP system would sit there right before / prior to the logon/login prompt. The login screen would never appear.
This was a result of the boot drive letters changing. The solution is as follows:
1) Start up another windows machine on the network and open Regedit
2) From Regedit, select Connect Remote Registry.
-This will require a username password with Admin rights
- This will require the registry service be running on the troubled system. (remotely start if necessary via MMC)
- This will require the computer name or the IP address of the system.
- Wait 5 or 10 minutes for the system to boot up and services start.
-When it's able to return a ping you should be able to connect.
- See this article for more details: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/249321
3) Go to HKLM\System\MountedDevices and look for DosDevices and rename the appropriate letter. Reboot and see if that solves the problem
4) If the problem persists, repeat steps 2 and 3, then backup up the MountedDevices key, and delete all of the entries in the right pane after the "(Default)" key. All the "#", all the "\" and \Dos keys. Just leave the default key.
5) If the problem still persists, boot to a XP cd and go into recovery console. From r-console, rebuild the boot configuration.
- additional details are available at this link:
Hope this helps someone.