Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Critical_Process_died

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Rick605

Rick605

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 07:43 PM

Not sure if I'm in the right forum or not, but I have Windows 8.1 and just before it restarted it said to look up "Critical_Process_Died.

Can someone here help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:44 PM

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Rick605

Rick605
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:12 AM

Is this correct?

We're all done! You should find the output already zipped to SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip under C:\Users\Richard\Documents.

Here's how to attach this file to your post:
 -  If using Quick Reply, click the Go Advanced button under the Reply box.
 -  Click the Paperclip at the top of the editor window, or scroll down and
    click the Manage Attachments button in the Additional Options section.
    You may have to expand the Additional Options section.
 -  Click the Browse... button and browse to your zipped file.
 -  Click the Upload button.
 -  Repeat for any more files, then close the Manage Attachments window.

* * *    B S O D    F I L E    C O L L E C T I O N    S C R I P T    * * *
         Authors:
            jcgriff2 - J. C. Griffith, Microsoft MVP
            TheOutcaste - Jerry Wines, Microsoft MVP
            Patrick - Patrick Barker, Microsoft MVP
            niemiro - Richard
            Tekno Venus - Stephen
         ©  http://www.sysnative.com/
         ©  sysnative.com - MVP
         © 2008 - 2014 sysnative.com
            Last Update: July 2014
         New Jersey, USA; Oregon, USA; New York, USA
         ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

* * *   G O O D  B Y E . . .  jcgriff2
 * * *   G O O D  B Y E . . .  jcgriff2

http://shilajit-shop.com/blog/44

#4 miroe

miroe

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:37 AM

Is this correct?

Not really. That is a message you get after running the Sysnative app. In Documents folder you should now find archive file named 'SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip' and that is what is needed. You need to attach it to a post in this topic, pretty much like you'd attach file to an email.

Cheers.

#5 Rick605

Rick605
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:32 AM

Is this it? Sorry having a hard time figuring this out. ;)

Attached Files

#6 Rick605

Rick605
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:39 AM

When I right click on "Administrative Events" I get three options... open, properties and help. What am I not understanding? And thanks for your patience. :)

#7 miroe

miroe

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:09 AM

Is this it? Sorry having a hard time figuring this out. ;)

Looks like it. But you need to wait for Usasma to check it. I'm just some dude.

When I right click on "Administrative Events" I get three options... open, properties and help. What am I not understanding?

Not sure. Do you right click on 'Administrative Events' in an expandable tree on left-hand side of the Window? Sort of like in the picture I attached (don't mind the language, look at the layout).

Attached Files

#8 Rick605

Rick605
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 03:25 PM

After I save the file as admin.evtx what do I click on in the box that pops up? No display information?

#9 miroe

miroe

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:55 PM

Unless you use Windows in language other then English, 'no display information' should be fine.

#10 miroe

miroe

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:20 AM

----

Edited by miroe, 01 August 2016 - 10:49 AM.

#11 Rick605

Rick605
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:24 PM

I finally got it...lol

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:17 AM

Were you able to get the Admin log file?  If so, please zip it up and upload it with your next post.

Here's the results of my analysis of the Sysnative reports:

There are no memory dumps in the uploaded reports.

The KernelDumpList.txt report also shows no memory dumps.

The WER section of MSINFO32 shows a lone BSOD on 26 July around 12:37am

Please follow the directions here to set your system for Minidumps (much smaller than the MEMORY.DMP file):  http://www.carrona.org/setmini.html
More info on dump file options here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649

Please don't use disk cleaning programs (such as CCleaner) while we're troubleshooting - it can delete reports that we need.

As there's very few signs of a problem here, I have to suspect a hardware issue.

Hardware problems (this includes compatibility issues and sometimes even low-level drivers) sometimes cause problems below the level that Windows is able to recognize (so there may not be reports for some hardware problems).

As such, I suggest running these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Your UEFI/BIOS (version A04) dates from 2014.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

Then we wait for further BSOD's.

If you get them, please zip up and upload the contents of C:\Windows\Minidump and upload the .zip file with your next post

If you have problems zipping it up, copy it to your Desktop and zip it up there.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 Rick605

Rick605
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:13 AM

Is this correct?

Attached Files

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:35 AM

The Admin log file shows a STOP 0xEF BSOD on the evening of 25 July 2016

This appears to be the Critical Process error that you referred to:  http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x000000EF

It also shows hundreds, if not thousands, of these errors on the morning of 25 July 2016:

The Multimedia Class Scheduler service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

I would suggest looking into whatever you were trying to do with multimedia at that time.

#15 Rick605

Rick605
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:22 AM

I have no clue what that would be. If it happens again what do I do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users