Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS laptop keeps disconnecting from WiFi repeatedly on Windows 10?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chiefliam

chiefliam

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 07:27 PM

Hello, folks. 

I am coming here today with an issue about my new laptop. It is an ASUS ROG GL552V laptop. Really nice performance, no complaints there. However, Windows 10 just seems to keep giving it issues from what I can tell. It keeps disconnecting from WiFi to the point where I have to wait minutes before I can even get a signal, or I have to restart my computer/router. This, as a result, disconnects me from doing whatever I wanted to do like playing a game or just browsing stuff. It happens every couple of minutes, and it is getting really annoying. I have gone from forum to forum looking for fixes, and none of them have completely eliminated the issue. Aside from the issues with this particular computer, every other device of mine works on the WiFi without any issues at all. Just so you guys know what I have done, these are the steps that I have taken: 

1. I've rolled back the drivers of the router in hopes that it would fix the issue. No luck there. 

2. The "fix" that everyone seems to recommend, which is going into the properties of the router and disabling the power saving options under power management, which are checked by default. No luck there. (I have gone down the list and unchecked any listed item that would allow me to turn off its power saving features.)

3. I have gone into advanced power plan options, and changed the wireless/WiFi tab to "Maximum Performance" on both plugged and unplugged. No luck there. 

4. I have checked my computer for any driver updates pertaining to the router, and there was no luck there. 

5. Obviously resetting my router multiple times in frustration. 

No matter what I do, nothing seems to be working on this brand new computer. I am starting to grow tired of being unable to use it except for forum lurking about the issue. I would rather not have to buy a brand new version of Windows 7 if this has anything to do with Windows 10. So, guys, I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me out with this problem and direct me to any potential fixes. 

The router that I have is a Netgear N600, if it helps. 

Thanks so much for your help! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:10 PM

I suggest installing the drivers from Asus. Is that a exact model it says on the bottom of it? You have to be certain of the model. I see Asus has support for ROG-GL552VW http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/ROG-GL552VW/

#3 chiefliam

chiefliam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:40 PM

I tried to install the drivers and it doesn't seem to have worked. Not sure what else to do at this point. Any other ideas?
I did install the drivers, I mean.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:19 PM

Well some brands of nics or usb dongles just don't play well with other brands of routers. I ran into a problem where the Belkin wifi dongle was doing the same thing yours was. I had it connecting to a N750 and It would connect then drop over and over. As soon as I used the Belkin router the problem went away. The issue would do the same in reverse I would use a Netgear dongle with a Belkin router and same thing happens. Your other devices work fine so it has to do with that machines nic. Are you using dhcp or static on it? Maybe you have a IP conflict. Try changing the routers channels. Maybe try setting the security options to a hybrid setting WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]. If nothing works then I would replace it. It could be just a dud. Probably a bad crystal in it.

#5 Doctorwhat2004

Doctorwhat2004

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:30 AM

Same.  Had the laptop for about a month before the HDMI just stopped working. The touchpad is really really insensitive and most of the time doesn't register a right click. *The wifi will randomly tell me I have no internet connection* even though it is connected.

To be clear, before you all chime in with "replace your router" I have tried with a linksys, a ubiquiti, and a netgear. I even tried with the horrific wifi built in to the Comcast modem. When the laptop drops off, the macs/roku/etc all still work fine. It is not my internet or my switch, etc.

Yes it has the latest drivers.

Sent it back for RMA about 3 months ago. They wiped the OS and returned it to me. That's all. Still have the flaky wifi problem and the HDMI works again but it is starting to flicker again unless I plug it in "just right" and kind of jiggle it... sigh

About to send it in for a second RMA.

I should have bought a dell but my last ASUS has lasted about 10 years with NO issues at all. It is a tank.

I can only recommend that people avoid this laptop. Its hardware has problems.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:19 PM

It's not unheard of for a wifi nic in a laptop to be bad. I have replaced a few over the years and a couple in my own laptops. Same things happening connecting then dropping. Swapped it out for a more robust broadcom brand with a lot more abilities. Managed, ad-hoc, Mesh, Repeater, Promiscuous, and Monitor mode. Those things are much needed in the tech world since I work on people pc's. I can wireshark and monitor the network and detect intrusions or some rogue device on the network. All that comes with the job. Wifi cards are a replaceable item like a hard drive in the laptop. So when the factory is banging these out all day it's possible that one got through inspection and it's flawed and then it winds up in your laptop you buy. That can happen with anything really you buy today. I order a lot of parts so I see a lot of duds right out of the box new. A lot of foreign manufacturers are lax on their factory inspections, codes etc. I got a closet full of junk that doesn't work. So it's just one of those things we gotta deal with.

Edited by technonymous, 18 March 2017 - 01:21 PM.

#7 hugeB

hugeB

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:39 PM

Lenovo has suggested some methods to solve problems like yours, most of the methods are general and can be applied to most devices.

https://support.lenovo.com/ph/en/solutions/ht502846

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users