Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 - sound problem, this is rather long...sorry, but it's weird

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pei

Pei

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:03 PM

Hello,

I’m basically computer illiterate; I know just enough to know I don’t know...so:

I’ve a laptop: Toshiba Satellite C655D, x64 AMD C-50, RAM – 3.00GB/2.60 GB usable - I believe I've got that right, if there's more information needed please let me know

I downloaded Windows 10 on June 28, woke up the next morning with multiple major problems!! After numerous trips to the local library's One-on-One computer help now just one remains – sound!

Because there were so many problems I rolled back to Windows 7 after fixing all but the sound - I was afraid more issues would appear.

The sound function starts out fine each morning, however at some point it is no longer audible - even though the volume bars keep moving in media player, or from stream, or going into control panel /sound and running troubleshooting and the report is everything is fine.

Updated drivers, didn’t make any difference;

Uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, didn’t make any difference.

Unchecked 'audio enhancements',

Checked internal speakers/microphone

I can hear all of the system sounds

When I do the test for the speakers in Control Panel/Sound - I hear them loud and clear!! Grrrr!

I’ve rebooted, changed from Chrome to Firefox and back. I’ve checked for viruses, malware, etc. Nothing has changed anything, the sound is audible...until it isn't!

The length of time sound is audible is completely random, it may be 10 mins, an hour, 15 mins, 3 hours, etc. 

Finally, I went to MS Live Chat for help, allowing them remote control access:

1st time tech downloaded drivers – didn’t change a thing and yes, I'd explained in detail everything I'd done.

2nd time tech went to mfg. website, downloaded driver – didn’t change a thing.  3rd time tech downloaded driver – didn’t change a thing.

Bottom line: I’ve been to MS Live Chat…7 (7!!!) times in the last 2 weeks, each time techs download drivers – hasn’t changed a thing.

And each time I've gone, the techs have the transcript and report from every prior visit.

One day after I finished with MS Live Chat the sound was audible for all of 3 mins! So much for that 'fix'.

I’ve spent untold hours in MS Live Chat – 12 ½ hrs, 8 hrs, 4 hrs, 13 hrs., etc. and I’m still not able to listen to music all day, and working from home that makes for very stressful days!

I'd thought to do a System Restore to before I downloaded Windows 10, say 6/27 or 6/25, however the earliest point listed was July 3rd and I couldn't figure out how to get one earlier. My thinking was... if I set the computer back to a couple days before I downloaded 10, it would put the computer back to the way it was, which was with sound, all of the time!

Yes? No? How do I get it to go back to 6/26, 6/25? Would that not be the easiest thing to do at this point? And yes I know it's not a good idea to do System Restore all of the time or even on a regular basis, but this situation seems to warrant that step if possible.

And if System Restore wouldn't work, how do I fix the sound?

Does anyone have any insight? Suggestions? Anything? 

Thank you very much for taking the time to read all of this, Pei

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:16 PM

G'day Pei, and Welcome to BC.

How did you go about doing this :: ?

Updated drivers, didn’t make any difference;

Uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, didn’t make any difference.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 Pei

Pei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for the welcome and for replying, Condobloke.

At the suggestion of a friend (who, btw...only uses Linux) I went to the Control Panel, then Sound, found the 'driver' tab...that's where I updated, installed , etc.

I did tell the MS techs everything I'd done before landing on their doorstep. After 7 Live Chats with 7 different techs, if I made a mistake one would certainly

hope they'd catch it!

Thanks, Pei

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 07:35 PM

I am assuming you have windows 10 installed at the moment...???

If so...type "device manager" in to search, and open it.

Right click on the driver/s in question...and select Uninstall. Confirm OK....then reboot.

When the PC start again and the sound is behaving.....

Better Still....READ on THIS PAGE  

I think what is happening is that windows is updating the drivers in question....hence the randomness re then time the sound behaves itself for.

The idea here is to Lock the driver that works in place so that windows cannot change it and screw the whole thing up again.

(Edit to Add:....btw....your friend has the right idea...Linux is a winner....and much simpler than you would imagine. Look at my signature below)

Edited by Condobloke, 25 July 2016 - 07:36 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users