Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Slow Windows 10 Install...just hanging

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 jackz4000

jackz4000

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:25 PM

I finally relented and clicked on Upgrade to move this laptop from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. I began at 12:30 PM and its 6:16 PM my time. The download took about 2 a quarter hours and then it went directly into Install at 3 PM. I used the Assistant. 

The Install is going very slow and is at 96% right now. At 3:21 it was at 80%, but this last 10% is moving so slow. I can see the HD light flickering so something is happening. I have a feeling this could be the Omen of a Bad Install? Or something.

Laptop is a Dell Precision M6400 with an Intel 9400 Core Duo Processor, Nvida 3700, 8GB Memory. 

Should I just eek out this last 4% which at this rate will take another hour or should I pull the plug? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:03 PM

eek it out....patience is a virtue....and necessary.....

let us know how you get on.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

#3 jackz4000

jackz4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:13 PM

Just checked and its up to 98%. So slow. Never read anything about that. 

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,709 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:19 PM

Its probably in the fine print... :hysterical:

Seriously ....there have been many instances here at BC where the slowness of the win 10 upgrade has been complained about.

On a real side note.....i installed the latest linux mint on one of my pc's last night and it took 30 minutes...up and running.

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,604 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:29 PM

"Never read anything about that" It isn't unusual to take to take a long time.  If you are headed for an install issue you should be able to revert to your previous OS. However even if that happens you will know vs. pulling the plug and not knowing. I've seen one that took 22 hours. Maybe that one set the record for a long upgrade but I don't think I'll ever find out.

#6 jackz4000

jackz4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:53 PM

Thanks condobloke and cmptrguy. I was getting a bit frustrated and thought something must be wrong. 7:52 and it just hit 99%. I'll know by 10 PM. 

@condobloke:  

"Seriously ....there have been many instances here at BC where the slowness of the win 10 upgrade has been complained about."  I missed reading that, but I haven't read much. 

Edited by jackz4000, 25 July 2016 - 06:56 PM.

#7 jackz4000

jackz4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:42 AM

No Joy here. At 10:20 PM it was still on installing on 99% and I shut down the laptop. Debated leaving it on overnight, but after 10 hours I've had it. Just hung on 99% for hours and never even went to set-up. I'll power it up in 15 minutes and see what I've got. 

EDIT: Powered her back up this morning and it took a little longer than usual to get to the blue Win 7 Welcome screen. Immediately the screen went to black. Stayed black. 5 minutes later the Bitdefender Security Widget popped on and began an update. Black screen continues for 25 minutes.

Suddenly the Win 7 screen loads with Icons and is fully operational.

Only sign I can find of Win 10 is The Assistant Icon and an Installer file. Not sure what to do now. Sitting on my hands. 

I am thinking I may just forget Win 10 and stay with Win 7. I had thought the Upgrade took about 3 hours? 

Edited by jackz4000, 26 July 2016 - 10:59 AM.

#8 jackz4000

jackz4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:11 PM

Well I am a bit paranoid, but I'll try Upgrading again tonight and overnight if necessary. I'll start at the very beginning and see what happens. 

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,709 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:42 PM

I understand your paranoia.....

Good Luck !

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,604 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:35 PM

If your Bitdefender Security Widget applies to your Windows 7 or if you have a different internet security package, consider disabling or uninstalling.

I also understand your concern as my friend's process took 22 hours and he was certainly paranoid but in his case the upgrade was a success.

Good luck

#11 jackz4000

jackz4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:10 AM

Started again at 6:30 PM last night and now at 8 AM it is still at 99%. I guess my paranoia was apt. I will probably give it a little time...at least 18 hours before I shut her down and complain to MS....gotta find the right phone #.

@Cmptrguy: I just disabled Bitdefender and see if that helps. I'm in over my head. I thought this was automatic? Ha.

EDIT: I don't see any changes with Bitdefender disabled. I just emailed MS Support. Here:  http://www.microsoftwindows10technicalsupport.com/

This has really turned into a time suck and is not Free. I have 2 other M6400's to Upgrade and it's not looking good. 

Edited by jackz4000, 27 July 2016 - 08:01 AM.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:00 AM

OK, it's getting to be crucial that you complete the upgrade soon.

On 29 July the free offer will expire and you'll have to pay for it.

SUGGESTION #1:

Open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

This will establish that you've tried to update well in advance of the free offer expiration date.

or

SUGGESTION #2:

- backup your stuff

- retrieve your W7 product key

- make a disk image (so you can go back to W7 if you want)

- download and build a USB install drive for W10:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

- install W10 from the USB drive.  Use the "Remove Everything" option (as the other has already failed for you.)

FYI - I do not recommend any of the other "update" options - simply because it's failed already.  And, as such, you can likely expect further problems if you do manage to force the update.

Edited by usasma, 27 July 2016 - 08:02 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 jackz4000

jackz4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:52 PM

Lottsa time with MS Tech Support and their Remote Access. They were very nice though I did get disconnected once at a crucial moment. Disabling Bitdefender wasn't good enuf. I had to uninstall it. Downloading a file for the Tool now which is how I'll install it....hopefully. What a time suck. Nothings Free.

Edited by jackz4000, 27 July 2016 - 01:53 PM.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:16 PM

But this establishes that you've tried to update.

It should save you the cost of a new copy of W10

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 jackz4000

jackz4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 08:28 AM

Last night I finally went off the cliff.  Just spending way too much time and energy on Win 10 and I thought this would take a few hours and so many other things I should have been doing. 

Used the Media Creation Tool and did an in place install. I thought it would use the ISO file I had downloaded, but it left that alone and did a fresh 2.5 hour download which went smoothly now---not 14 hours at 99%.

What sent me off was the first thing that happens is Windows Tool goes Searching For Update. After 70 minutes and it  looks like very little activity from the HDD light I have had it with Windows 10. Just these circular balls and no info. So I try to close it (X) and it says it Needs To Clean Up First.

After a half hour of cleaning it is still cleaning and I have had it. I have to do a forced shut down. I have no idea what will happen when I power it on later today. Needless to say I won't be trying to Upgrade my other 2 laptops that I had planned to Upgrade. 

I will stay with Win 7 for a couple years. I have a fresh install of Win 10 on one laptop if I need it. 

@usamama: I wish I knew before what I know now before I began the Upgrade. Now I see better how the process works. 

Edited by jackz4000, 28 July 2016 - 08:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users