Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Universal Dvd And Player

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:36 PM

I was looking to see if there is a universal DVD, that plays on ALL DVD players. What kind of DVD do the big motion picture companies use to distribute movies on? Are they buyable? Also is there a DVD player that plays all the types of DVDs?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:52 PM

This is a good question and I hope there is an awnser. I just bough a DVD from britain and I am hoping that I will be able to play it here.. I dought that my dvd players in the house will run them (they are region 1 programmed I think) but hopefully my DVD-Rom in the computer will work.

#3 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:12 PM

I was looking to see if there is a universal DVD, that plays on ALL DVD players. What kind of DVD do the big motion picture companies use to distribute movies on? Are they buyable?

The format type of the DVD is DVD-R, if you buy a blank DVD it should be usable on all DVD players, until it is given a region code. If you copy to a blank DVD and do not allocate it with a region code then it will play anywhere in the world. If you give it a region code, for example region 1, then that will play in the US and Canada but not on European DVD players as they are region 2 coded.

Also is there a DVD player that plays all the types of DVDs?

Yes, im sure there is, and also you can get your player 'chipped'.However, in certain countries, selling these machines or chipping them is illegal, such as here in the UK. Im not sure on the laws anywhere else, you may need to google to find out.

I just bough a DVD from britain and I am hoping that I will be able to play it here.. I dought that my dvd players in the house will run them (they are region 1 programmed I think) but hopefully my DVD-Rom in the computer will work.

You are correct, if you bought it from here in the UK, it will not play on your DVD players at home. You can play different region DVDs on your system so long as you have the software to play it. You may find some by looking at the alternate software section HERE

I hope this helps!
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:18 PM

Would I maybe be able to load this movie into DVD Shrink and change the region code to region one so I can play it in my dvd players?

#5 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:30 PM

Seeing as DVD Shrink allows you to set region codes then i would assume that, Yes, that should work. When you load DVD Shrink or copy from it,i think it sets the region code to multi region which is all good because it can then be played anywhere.

The only thing that may prevent you from doing this is if your DVD rom drive does not pick up the disc because its from a different region to what your PCs settings are, or if the disc is copyright protected then your PC may not recognise a disc is in the drive.

If its ok, what film is it?

Region codes on the PC itself can actually be changed, however this can only be done a couple of times, then after that you are stuck with whatever the region is you selected, so i wouldnt try that one!
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#6 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:40 PM

It's an the S Club 7 DVD... Really want it and could only find a few copies in great britain on ebay :thumbsup: gotta love that place :flowers:

Edited by Klinkaroo, 14 August 2006 - 07:40 PM.

#7 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:53 PM

S Club 7, a slight alternate to my Rock genre but they were alright! :thumbsup:

Well, seeing as the last time they released anything was about 3 years ago, then that disc you have is before all the new DVD copy protected discs so you should be fine using and copying it in DVD Shrink. If you do come across any issues/problems, then just have a look at that link i provided, about half way down the page there is a list of DVD playing software. I bought a music DVD when i was in Toronto a few months ago, and it played ok on my PC but not DVD player.

Let me know how it goes, hope all goes well!

Ebay: Yes it can be a great place sometimes. I bought a DVD from Canada (seriously) that was only ever released in Canada, but it was a british movie called 'The Woman In Black'. It, for some reason was never released in its home country except on Video, and ebay came to my rescue with one of the last original versions, funnily enough plays on a UK DVD player.

#8 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:48 PM

Well sometime they don't region encrypt them. That must be why. I had to buy a cd in the uk too because when the S club 7 cd 7 came out in North America there we're two songs they didn't put on there. So I bought the cd again but the uk version just to have those songs :thumbsup:

God I love ebay.

#9 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:41 PM

You could always find a region free DVD player.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Philips-5960-HDMI-...1QQcmdZViewItem

#10 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:24 AM

You could always find a region free DVD player.

Yep,that might work too. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users