Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD - Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area 0x00000050 (HARD DRIVE)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DAZZAROONEY

DAZZAROONEY

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:09 PM

A customer has asked me to fix their laptop.

10 seconds after boot, it comes up with PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA 0x00000050.

I took the drive out and attached it as an external drive to my laptop. This causes my laptop to crash also with the same fault.

Is there anything I can do to fix or recover files from it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:35 PM

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559023(v=vs.85).aspx

You've tried booting in safe mode?

The fact that the hard drive causes problems when attached to a different system...IMO, is likely to indicate hardware problems, rather than driver issues.

Louis

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:23 PM

If you have this drive in some sort of USB caddy try letting your computer boot before you connect this suspect drive.

Alternatively, put the HD back in its computer and try booting from a live Linux disc. This will boot and run in RAM and is a very good technique for recovering data. I use Puppy for this but only because I have had a copy sitting on my desk for the last two years or so. If the faulty computer has a DVD drive you can download the ISO and burn it to a disc. If it only has USB sockets you will need to burn the ISO to a memory stick using Rufus to make it bootable.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#4 DAZZAROONEY

DAZZAROONEY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:21 AM

The laptop DOES have a DVD drive so I could give it a go. Sounds like a nightmare though. Is it easy to get hold of this "Puppy" though?

or could I use any live Linux disc?

Edited by DAZZAROONEY, 26 July 2016 - 06:24 AM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:46 PM

No, any live (ie self-booting) linux disc should do the job, you just need to watch out if you are given the choice of 'Run' or 'Install' you choose 'Run'.

Once you have it running click on the hard drive to 'mount' it and do the same for whatever external storage you have plugged in, then you can simply use 'drag and droop' to transfer the data.

If you have any questions still, either post back or look in the Linux section. You won't have to look far to find people running all sorts of Linux off discs, memory sticks and so on. It's a standard way of testing a distro to see if you like it or not.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users