Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection Impossible with Win 8.1 and Comcast (CISCO DPC3941T)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 frank1492

frank1492

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 01:44 PM

I just started Comcast service to replace my DSL. I have two Android smartphones, a Win7 Laptop (Compaq Presario) and a Win 8.1 Laptop (Toshiba Satellite.) All connected easily with the DSL service but the Satellite running Win 8.1 will not connect using the Cisco modem/router. I have worked for several hours on this. Comcast can't help.

There are several Internet articles alluding to similar issues, but the issues are not quite the same and they have complex, vague or questionable solutions. Obviously many Comcast customers must be running 8.1 successfully.

This issue is wireless only, no problems with ethernet.

Any ideas? Thanks for help. Frank 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 07:01 PM

Hi Frank,

Not sure exactly what you mean by >> Comcast can't help. << > Do you mean can't or won't help ?

Do they supply the Modem, or are you using an older one you already had ?

You are normally provided with a booklet on "How to connect", and you have done this with a laptop, but not the others.

Your other units need the same "treatment" of entering a password or logon sequence (they will all be the same off one modem) to match your modem login.

If you have instructions, they will all be the same for each unit with the same Internet Service Provider (I.S.P). I run a desktop, a wireless laptop, an iPhone, and a Kindle reader, so all needed to match the Modem that my I.S.P provides. If they do not match (or you have missing drivers) they will not connect..

Please try and contact Comcast, or wait for Queen-Evie, A moderator from Comcast forum.

Thank You.

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#3 frank1492

frank1492
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:18 PM

Thanks, I think I will try a Comcast forum- good advice. Comcast said it must be a Win8.1 problem, but it must be incompatability between Win 8.1 and the Cisco modem, because the 8.1 machine connected flawlessly when I had a Verizon DSL modem and connects fine to an Amazon-purchased modem which is Charter-compatible and exists at another location.

Frank

#4 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:27 PM

Home - Comcast Help and Support Forums

This is a link to the forum for you :)

It seems like they have not given you enough information on "How to set up Wireless Devices.

Always drop back for more help.

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users