Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What edition of Windows 10 to upgrade to? (And method to do it?)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:45 PM

I've got an Asus A73E-NH31 laptop with an Intel i3-2330M (2.20 GHz, 64-bit) CPU and 6.00 GB of RAM that I want to upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10.

In order to get the free upgrade to Windows 10 (which I've gotta do by Friday!), I guess Windows 10 Home is my only choice, right?  Not that I think there's any problem with that; I just want to know what my options are.

BTW, I had trouble upgrading my desktop computer from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), so I had to actually do a clean install of Win10.  Unless I miss my guess, there's a good chance I'll have to do the dame with the Home editions, no?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 01:17 PM

That's surprising that you would need to clean install. Give it a go. If you are having problems in Windows 10, you can always roll back, and because you have upgraded, you got the digital entitlement, which means you can upgrade for free again in the future or do a clean install

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:11 PM

Most folks don't have problems with the upgrade, but some do.  It depends on a whole lot of things that very from one computer to the next.  You should understand that laptops are more prone to upgrade problems than desktops because most of the laptop parts are proprietary.  A lot of folks upgrading laptops have run into problems with touchpads and WiFi for example.  So be sure to check with your computer's manufacturer that you can get Windows 10 compatible drivers for your system.  Also you should always make a full system backup to an external device before making significant system changes.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:14 PM

Oh and another important thing: Make sure you make a system image just in case. And before upgrading, uninstall your Antivirus, and download the drivers from the manufacturer's website before you upgrade, in case you don't get WiFi (as @Niweg suggested).

Unplug all the devices that you don't need, and when the upgrade is complete, reinstall your Antivirus.

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#5 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:49 PM

Well, before I go any further, I need to resolve another problem.  Please see my new thread, "Can't delete anything from Win7 laptop hard drive".

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 07:13 PM

Your previous issue needs to be addressed: you don’t have any flexibility to work with.

In that previous thread, Buddt215 in post #4 mentioned using the recovery partition to reinstall your Win7 OS

You will need to do what it takes to get the computer into its best shape before considering the free Win10 upgrade. If you do not know whether or not you have a recovery partition see if you can get a snapshot of Disk Management and post it in your reply. Since the HDD is full, you might have to paste the snapshot into a file on a USB flash drive or your external hard drive. Get it onto your desktop computer and post it.

I haven’t done any ASUS system recovery to factory conditions, but pressing F11 upon startup has worked for me on other computers to get back to factory install.

With that said you would need full dedication if you still want to try the free Win10 upgrade in time

Edited by cmptrgy, 25 July 2016 - 07:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users