Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looks Like I Have A Hijacker On Board

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HPJ

HPJ

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:34 PM

Well, I had some problems that I posted about the other day, which involved a corrupted download of some pirated software. I learned my lesson the hard way about that, so needless to say I won't be attempting it again.

My problem now consists of a couple things:

1. My Firefox got screwed up. The icon on the desktop wasn't for Mozilla, it was a control panel looking icon. Mozilla wouldn't open when I clicked it. I have since uninstalled Firefox, and installed the latest and greatest. It opens, but it won't connect to the internet.

2. I still can't CTRL ALT DEL to bring up task manager.

3. I tried to log in to Ebay and Paypal, and it won't let me. When I click the login screen I get a "page cannot be displayed" error. I tried clicking "contact ebay" and got the error page also. Weird! I think I am being hijacked for sure

Please help me! This is making me nervous. :thumbsup:

Mod Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 13 August 2006 - 10:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:59 PM

The obvious but #1 question is have you run scans for virus and spyware, and if so, what results did you get?

Can you get your Task Manager by right clicking on an unused part of your taskbar and selecting it from there?

Have you tried a 'repair' of your connection?

If you don't get any joy, it may be time for an HJT log.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 HPJ

HPJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:00 PM

The obvious but #1 question is have you run scans for virus and spyware, and if so, what results did you get?

Can you get your Task Manager by right clicking on an unused part of your taskbar and selecting it from there?

Have you tried a 'repair' of your connection?

If you don't get any joy, it may be time for an HJT log.

Cheers

I have a HJT log.

http://www.hpjvids.com/mods/augspy

Task Manager will not come up, even right clicking the task bar.

Also, FWIW, I attempted to do a system restore. I know this won't rid of the spyware, but at least most of the stuff should work. When I went into restore, obviously it brings up a calendar where you select the last known good date. The calendar that pops up in restore is blank. :thumbsup:

Make anything of the HJT log?

Thanks for the help

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:35 PM

Since you have an HJT posted elsewhere, please wait for them to respond. Making additional changes will make it harder for them to help you. If the topic has been sitting there for over a month, let us know and we will give you instructions for posting a fresh HJT log here.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#5 HPJ

HPJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:43 PM

Since you have an HJT posted elsewhere, please wait for them to respond. Making additional changes will make it harder for them to help you. If the topic has been sitting there for over a month, let us know and we will give you instructions for posting a fresh HJT log here.

I actually have it hosted on my own server, and this is the only board I have it posted on. :flowers:

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:50 PM

So in effect, it's not actually posted right? You just provided a link to the HJT log file on your computer?

If that is the case, please read and follow the instructions tg1911 has written in the post I have quoted below. You will want to copy and past the log, not simply provide a link to it.

I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination.
A member of the HijackThis Team will walk you through, step by step, how to disinfect your computer.

Once you post your log, don't make any changes to your system, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it more difficult to properly clean your system.

Read Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log.
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully!!!

Then, run a log, and post it in the HijackThis forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, as these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#7 HPJ

HPJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:38 PM

Thanks alot! Going through the steps now.

FWIW, I can't DL new definitions for Ad-Aware. I installed the latest software and tried to upgrade after that again, and still no dice.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:57 PM

Work with what you have then, and make sure you include that information in your HJT posting. If you have any other pre-HJT posting questions, add them to this topic. :thumbsup:

Orange Blossom :flowers:

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#9 HPJ

HPJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:54 PM

Looks like whatever problem I am having is preventing me from getting newer definitions from the spyware removers.......I also can't get updates for Spybot. I'll be sure to mention that in my HJT post.

EDIT - its scanning, but I see a message in the spybot window next to an exclamation point

"Service check: Teh Services.sbs files are missing. Please use the update to get a new copy!"

Thanks again

Darren

Edited by HPJ, 15 August 2006 - 05:56 PM.

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:22 PM

Are you able to download Spybot to a disk at a different computer than install it from the disk to your computer?

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users