Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to install app on second internal storage by default

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gaberilde

gaberilde

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:11 PM

Pictured below, I have a internal storage (barley any space) things go on there by default and i have a second internal space with lots of space.

how can i change it to the second one?

(adb shell pm set-install-location 2 dosent work, because it is shown as internal not sd) 

Hrky2iy1.png

The Friget spinner is spreading like the WanaCry ransomware!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sinister_midget

sinister_midget

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:06 PM

If you have root you can use app2sd. I've used that on a number of devices, and was even able to set all new installs to go to the SD by default.

If you have Marshmallow (Android 6) you can make the SD part of the internal memory. (Mine is currently 73G large.) The upside is you can make the internal storage larger. The downside to it is you don't have it as external storage any more. But then you can move much of what's already installed and make new stuff go to that instead of internal. And it's still large enough to use the internal expansion space to put regular files.

In both cases not 100% of everything can be moved. Some can't be moved at all. Most apps leave some hooks in the internal storage that still uses space, albeit much less.

Older Android versions had the means to move apps to SD built into them. But Google changed that and took it away before coming up with the method used in Marshmallow.

I've read conflicting reports of some manufacturers enabling the ability to do that (one app at a time) on their devices with 4.X and 5.X versions. But I never encountered one, so I have no idea if it's true.

Those are the only ways I know about.

If it was me and the phone warranty was gone, I'd opt for root. (In fact, I've done it to phones and tablets I've barely owned a week.) With that you can partitioned the SD to use part of it to expand internal storage, part to make a separate swap (memory expansion) partition, and part of it to move or store other files like SD cards do when you put them in to begin with. But that's just me.

#3 gaberilde

gaberilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:46 PM

If you have root you can use app2sd. I've used that on a number of devices, and was even able to set all new installs to go to the SD by default.

If you have Marshmallow (Android 6) you can make the SD part of the internal memory. (Mine is currently 73G large.) The upside is you can make the internal storage larger. The downside to it is you don't have it as external storage any more. But then you can move much of what's already installed and make new stuff go to that instead of internal. And it's still large enough to use the internal expansion space to put regular files.

In both cases not 100% of everything can be moved. Some can't be moved at all. Most apps leave some hooks in the internal storage that still uses space, albeit much less.

Older Android versions had the means to move apps to SD built into them. But Google changed that and took it away before coming up with the method used in Marshmallow.

I've read conflicting reports of some manufacturers enabling the ability to do that (one app at a time) on their devices with 4.X and 5.X versions. But I never encountered one, so I have no idea if it's true.

Those are the only ways I know about.

If it was me and the phone warranty was gone, I'd opt for root. (In fact, I've done it to phones and tablets I've barely owned a week.) With that you can partitioned the SD to use part of it to expand internal storage, part to make a separate swap (memory expansion) partition, and part of it to move or store other files like SD cards do when you put them in to begin with. But that's just me.

i did try rooting it but then it constantly kept rebooting so i unrooted it any help?

#4 sinister_midget

sinister_midget

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:45 PM

I answered this on PM.

The question of Kingroot came up as the method used. I've never used Kingroot because it wouldn't work for me any of the times I tried it.

My preferred method has always been to find image files and instructions to apply them. With a little more searching it's often possible to find restore images, too, in case you want or need to go back to the original. (I had to do that on a Samsung tablet one time for various reasons.)

Of course, if you make a good backup of your original device (a thing I never seem quite bright enough to do) you won't need to find the original images some other place.

#5 gaberilde

gaberilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:45 AM

I answered this on PM.

The question of Kingroot came up as the method used. I've never used Kingroot because it wouldn't work for me any of the times I tried it.

My preferred method has always been to find image files and instructions to apply them. With a little more searching it's often possible to find restore images, too, in case you want or need to go back to the original. (I had to do that on a Samsung tablet one time for various reasons.)

Of course, if you make a good backup of your original device  (a thing I never seem quite bright enough to do) you won't need to find the original images some other place.

actully i did get it to work better (used pc version) i think the tablet reboots when space is run out the root on my phone was working fine

this a dead (unknown) tablet so searching for it gets no results

ps how do i change it to sd on the app

Edited by gaberilde, 26 July 2016 - 05:07 AM.

#6 sinister_midget

sinister_midget

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:35 AM

If that's possible (it isn't in many cases) you go into app management in settings. Click on an app and if it's possible to move there should be a block on the left side of the window showing Move to SD/Move to Phone. Those that can't be moved are greyed-out. Those that can be moved will have one of those on it. If it isn't there, it can't be done on that device without root. With root it won't matter if that's there or not because there are other, better ways to do it yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users