Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What to do with a dropped HDD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dj505

dj505

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:31 AM

Hi all! So, early this morning when I came time to pack stuff up, I was tired enough to not notice how precariously my external hard drive was sitting on top of my desk. Of course, it fell down and hit the ground. My desk is probably 25-30 inches off the ground. I don't want to turn it on, which would risk having a damaged r/w head scratching it and making it unrecoverable, but I also don't want to take it in for repairs right away in case it's actually just fine and I'd end up paying the recovery fee for nothing. What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:50 AM

Well, you have a choice. Either turn it on and hope it is fine or send it in to a data recovery service. They should offer a free quote. One of the better services is DriveSavers. Whether to turn it on or not depends on how important the data is to you.

If the drive was on and spinning when the drop occurred I would say your chances are pretty good the drive is a goner and the data would need to be recovered using  a recovery service.

#3 dj505

dj505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:54 AM

The drive was turned off when I dropped it, and I decided to plug it in to test. Showed up ok, and I'm doing a disk check right now in case there are errors.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:59 AM

Very Nice. Consider yourself very lucky. In addition to the disk check I would keep an eye on your SMART Values. Using GsmartControl look for any increase in Reallocated Sectors and Current Pending Sectors. I would also back up your data to a second device depending on how important the data is.

http://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.net/home/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users