Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My 1st System (ideas)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 07:30 AM

Hello.

So I'm ready to try my hand at a really basic build. My 1st. (Awwww)

Currently I'm using an old HP Desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium.

Model # is: p6-2143w

Processor:  AMD A6-3650 APU w/ Radeon HD Graphics    2.60 GHz

It's a 64 bit system w/ 8 gigs of RAM  (DDR3) 

There's nothing wrong with this system except for it's age - I think it's closing in on  being 4 years old - and I don't do much gaming on it.

There only thing I play on it with any regularity is   (don't laugh)   Unreal Tournament 2004    :lol:

I also don't use the computer for much more than surfing and some real basic audio and video editing, and all that editing does not involve large files, so when I render or save a project, it doesn't take more than several minutes which is not a big deal for me.

My goal for this build is to run Linux exclusively.

Because of the nature of my work, I'll always have at least one laptop (or more) with some flavor of Windows on it, so I'm not concerned about not having to access to something Windows-based.

I'm got this ridiculous Dell Precision 7810 w/ 32 gigs of RAM running Windows 8 Pro at work, so I'm covered there.

Trolling through the Forums here, I saw this build and thought it looked like it might work. If I can subtract the $110 bucks for Windows 10, it's an attractive deal for me. I did not see a Video card but not sure I would need one. On the other hand, if I could apply that $110 bucks to a video card, I'd be okay with that as well.

Big thanks to Drillingmachine for posting it.

I've been test driving several flavors (distros) of Linux over the past several months and I'm currently a dual-booter, so the Linux OS is not an issue for me, I'm just getting ready to run a machine that is 100% Linux and see if, over the course of a couple of years, I can tweak it the way I have Windows.

Thanks for any help and/or ideas or suggestions or coffee....I love coffee.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:08 AM

I am suprised to see that you don't select HDD instead of SSD. SSD are more powerful and better to run linux on it. What do you say about this build http://pcpartpicker.com/list/hzdDxY with video card and less than your budget. Choose the OS yourself.
To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 01:52 PM

Take from HP machine: HDD, memory, CD drive

Other parts: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/2kvf9W

#4 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:18 AM

I am suprised to see that you don't select HDD instead of SSD. SSD are more powerful and better to run linux on it. What do you say about this build http://pcpartpicker.com/list/hzdDxY with video card and less than your budget. Choose the OS yourself.

Good morning LiamP5 and thanks for the list.

I've considered going to the SSD route and just ditching the HDD altogether. Even after 4 years (and a lot of music + videos) I'm still under 300 gigs used on my HDD, so looking over your list, I might consider getting a 512 GB SSD.

Take from HP machine: HDD, memory, CD drive

Other parts: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/2kvf9W

Morning Drillingmaachine & thanks for checking in with the list.

With regards to the HDD + the list you provided, would I see any improvement by using a SSD instead of my existing HDD?

I like the idea of using some of my existing hardware but am worried about a 4 year old HDD, although as I mentioned in my OP, everything about this machine is working well and has not given my any type of errors, BSODs, etc.

Thanks again.

Winterland

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:58 AM

You will see huge improvement using SSD WITH your existing HDD. No reason to throw away HDD and I prefer to save all important stuff to HDD rather than SSD.

#6 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:03 AM

Good morning Winterland SSD is more faster and reliable than HDD. I'm not trying say that HDD are worse to buy, just for more space you can use HDD. As you told that you are considering 512Gb SSD no problem that how much space does it have. I would recommend you to buy Crucial MX/BX 200 and 1 TB or 500 GB which will make you enough space. As you considered that you are not high level gamer than GT 740 should work for you.
To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:00 PM

For me I say forgo the SSD.

I run on a 7200 RPM WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive and have lighting speeds on my linux install.

SSD's are still too expensive for high capacity and to be honest for me Linux already boots fast enough as it is and I am not running a top spec machine:

Intel Core i5 4460 non overclocking

16GB of Ram

No GPU (yet) and still i boot up very quickly under 10 seconds.

Sure file access is a bit slow but thats to be expected on large capacity drive anyhow, but folders still load in a reasonable amount of time.

Also for a pure linux build you may wish to forgo a graphics card, if you are a gamer then linux is not really the best option.

It has a tiny library compared to windows, even with steam in play it is still rather small and a good percent of the games are not GPU intensive.

I would more worry about things like the power supply then the CPU and GPU if this is going to be a pure linux box.

If you really need a new HDD then this will do nicely:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339

Better than 500GB or spending overages on SSD's

Also if you plan on still dual booting please buy windows first, it normally wipes out everything except windows.

Edited by MadmanRB, 26 July 2016 - 02:03 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#8 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 04:35 AM

You will see huge improvement using SSD WITH your existing HDD. No reason to throw away HDD and I prefer to save all important stuff to HDD rather than SSD.

Thanks, that is the type of information I was looking for and as for saving to the HDD, I concur. I back up all my important stuff on a pretty regular basis and yeah, I have back-ups of my back-ups.

Good morning Winterland SSD is more faster and reliable than HDD. I'm not trying say that HDD are worse to buy, just for more space you can use HDD. As you told that you are considering 512Gb SSD no problem that how much space does it have. I would recommend you to buy Crucial MX/BX 200 and 1 TB or 500 GB which will make you enough space. As you considered that you are not high level gamer than GT 740 should work for you.

LiamP5, thanks for the info. I will look into the Crucial MX/BX 200. Thanks also for the input about the graphics cards. I'm not really - not do I plan on being - anything resembling a gamer.

For me I say forgo the SSD.

I run on a 7200 RPM WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive and have lighting speeds on my linux install.

SSD's are still too expensive for high capacity and to be honest for me Linux already boots fast enough as it is and I am not running a top spec machine:

Intel Core i5 4460 non overclocking

16GB of Ram

No GPU (yet) and still i boot up very quickly under 10 seconds.

Sure file access is a bit slow but thats to be expected on large capacity drive anyhow, but folders still load in a reasonable amount of time.

Also for a pure linux build you may wish to forgo a graphics card, if you are a gamer then linux is not really the best option.

It has a tiny library compared to windows, even with steam in play it is still rather small and a good percent of the games are not GPU intensive.

I would more worry about things like the power supply then the CPU and GPU if this is going to be a pure linux box.

If you really need a new HDD then this will do nicely:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339

Better than 500GB or spending overages on SSD's

Also if you plan on still dual booting please buy windows first, it normally wipes out everything except windows.

MadmanRB, thanks for all the info and insights. When I started this post, I had seen DrillingMachine's post about a budget gamer and thought, "oh heck yeah, I could build a budget gamer for under $500 bucks!"

At this point, my desktop is still working fine and since I do want to blow this HDD up and install Linux exclusively, I thought I would look into what a new build-it yourself machine might cost.

As previously mentioned, I'm not a gamer nor am I likely to become one.

My interests here is to have a 100% Linux machine and see, over the course of the next couple of years, if I can become comfortable / familiar enough with it as I have Windows.

At this point, I'm going to hold off on this project, head on over to the Linux Forums and see how to start that process with my existing hardware.

Thank you gentlemen for checking in, giving the feedback, suggestions and ideas.

I'll be back, don't know when but when I do, I'll reach out.

onward,

Winterland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users