Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After upgrade computer did not open in the right account

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Nikilet

Nikilet

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:55 AM

On Windows 7 I had my administrator account which I always worked out of, and then I had a local users account set up for when my grandsons come to play their kids games.

After upgrade to 20, my computer opened in the local user's account instead of my main account. How do I get my administrator account back with my desktop and all my files, etc.?

#2 problem is that everything across the top of my Google Chrome is huge; all the text on the tabs and address bar, bookmarks. How do I get things reduced to something that looks normal?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 07:13 AM

I believe it is normal behavior for 10 to auto login to the last user. Log out of your local user account then login to your Admin account. Restart the Computer. Does it now auto login to your Admin account?

As far as the large Chrome text is this just Chrome or for any Window opened?

#3 Nikilet

Nikilet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:37 AM

The account situation is solved.

However, the text situation is a bugger. Everything in my tabs and address bar on chrome is huge. Same thing with Windows Live Mail. I had to change my view for emails to open below instead of alongside because the text is so big. I have computer set on the recommended resolution. 

On the other hand, I use LastPass and the print is so small on that I can barely read it.

I don't know if you can tell anything by these screenshots, but I have included 3 for you to take a look at.

Attached Files

Edited by Nikilet, 25 July 2016 - 08:50 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:44 AM

Check to see if font size is set to 100%

http://windows.wonderhowto.com/how-to/change-font-size-windows-10-0166687/

The first two images look normal to me. The last is your Bookmarks? I am not sure what is going on with that. 

See the below link for changing only text sizes.

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-make-text-apps-bigger-windows-10

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 July 2016 - 09:06 AM.

#5 Nikilet

Nikilet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:47 PM

I already answered this, but my answer isn't here. Hmm...

My font size was set to 100%, altho I've played around with it to see if I can get things right. The images I attached are not normal but apparently that can't be seen in those shots. I tried your second link but still can't come up with the right combination.

I discovered one thing. I had a NiVidia driver on this computer. In fact, I updated it just after installing Windows 7. That was a clean install; my machine was a Vista. It worked fabulous after the Win 7 install. Anyway, I now notice that my Device Manager tells me I have a Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Why would that have been changed? Maybe that is my problem??

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:12 PM

Nice catch. I would surmise that is part of the problem. But, you did say the resolution is correct.  Go to nvidia's driver site and input your card and OS info. 

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

You may want to try option two shown on this page but it can give unintended results.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5990-dpi-scaling-level-displays-change-windows-10-a.html

#7 Nikilet

Nikilet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:41 AM

I don't know what is going on here but I'm posting back to you and I come back to check for an answer and my last post isn't here again.The main thing I asked in my last post was what you mean by my "card." I am not a computer tech and I don't know what you are telling me to input. 

Why does it appear that my post has been made and then I come back and it isn't here?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:35 AM

By card I meant your graphics card model number or chipset if the graphics are integrated with the motherboard. Do you have a make and model number of the computer? 

If you do not remember your graphics chipset or graphics card model you can run Speccy. There will be a graphics section that should detect your Nvidia.

#9 Nikilet

Nikilet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:48 AM

Still in doubt about what I'm looking for. Attached screenshot is what Speccy showed on the graphics tab. Would you specify what, on this screenshot, coincides with what you told me to look for. 

I thought I had a Nvidia graphics card, which is now a Microsoft basic. 

Attached Files

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:11 AM

The hardware ID indicates it's a 

Chip Number: G72 Chip Description: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE

Unfortunately, Nvidia only supports Windows 7 and lower for that chipset, sorry.

There is supposedly a workaround here but I can't confirm it would work for you. You would use the 7 series. Not the Go series.

http://ivanrf.com/en/nvidia-compatibility-issue-with-windows-10/

#11 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:57 AM

Have you tried holding down ctrl and using a mouse wheel? It enlarges or minimizes the size of all open windows.

#12 Nikilet

Nikilet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:37 AM

The hardware ID indicates it's a 

Chip Number: G72 Chip Description: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE

Unfortunately, Nvidia only supports Windows 7 and lower for that chipset, sorry.

There is supposedly a workaround here but I can't confirm it would work for you. You would use the 7 series. Not the Go series.

http://ivanrf.com/en/nvidia-compatibility-issue-with-windows-10/

I used the Media Creation Tool to create an ISO file and that is how I did the upgrade, rather than through Windows Update.

I went to the Nvidia forum and was told to download 306.97 32bit. I don't know if I should or if I should just leave things alone. The person at Nvidia was of the opinion I shouldn't have upgraded to Windows 10 on this "old" computer. Thing is, Microsoft sent me the compatibility report stating that my system met all the requirements to install Windows 10 so I decided to do it.

Actually, the computer is working really well in all its functions with the exception of display, mostly on Internet, being large. I did find another tab in all my fooling around where I was able to reduce the Chrome text to quite an acceptable range. It's only my webmail and my address bar now that's awfully big.

I had one game CD that wouldn't work and that was because it was not compatible and couldn't be fixed, according the the compatibility troubleshooter. 

I would be interested in what you think about this 306.97. I'm not a computer expert so don't know if I should monkey with it at all.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:14 AM

The driver may or may not work. It is not certified for Windows 10. Only up to Windows 8. If you are happy with the way the computer is running I would not install it. If you do decide to install the driver use compatibility mode. 

http://www.windows10forums.com/articles/compatibility-mode.7/

Edit: See my link in post#10. The driver was installed in Windows 10 so it is doable but your computer may have a different outcome.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 July 2016 - 11:16 AM.

#14 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:42 AM

Are you referring to Windows build in Administrator user account as the account you were using and after upgrade you cannot logiin to if yes then By default Administrator user account disabled maybe when you upgrade to Windows 10 the Administrator user account got disabled.
Open an elevated Command Prompt window (press Win + X, and then press A key)

Run below command from Command Prompt that is open as administrator.

net users  | Clip

NET USER command when used without switches, it lists the user accounts for the computer. The user account information is stored in the user accounts database. The Clip command is use to pipe the output of the Net Users command to Windows clipboard after executing this command above at your next post right click empty space and select Paste from the context menu to paste Clipboard to your next post.

Posted Image

#15 Nikilet

Nikilet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 10:14 AM

The driver may or may not work. It is not certified for Windows 10. Only up to Windows 8. If you are happy with the way the computer is running I would not install it. If you do decide to install the driver use compatibility mode. 

http://www.windows10forums.com/articles/compatibility-mode.7/

Edit: See my link in post#10. The driver was installed in Windows 10 so it is doable but your computer may have a different outcome.I'm 

I'm back. I stumbled across something that has solved my display problems. In addition to other things, I noticed that my text was kind of blurry. In Googling for an answer I found that lots of people complain of this problem and a fix was recommended in a little program called Windows 10_DPL_FIX.exe. It took about 10 seconds to download and install and it worked a literal miracle on my computer. So I want to thank you and all who worked with me trying to suggest things and help me.

Edited by Nikilet, 02 August 2016 - 10:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users