Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cracks in Laptop Lid

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:28 AM

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. Got this problem with my father's Asus laptop (A54c i think). its lid has recently developed cracks near the hinges, first on one side a few weeks ago, now the other side has gone the same way.Opening and closing the lid has become impossible without doing further damage. Strips of strong black 'gaffer' tape have been applied to the cracks if only to keep dust out of them and slow down further damage, but really it needs a more permanent fix.

I have searched the web and found that replacements are available but i am not that confident about being able to fit one sucessfully (willing to learn how to do it though). I was wondering if there was any other way to repair the current lid sucesfully. The PC is not that old and works fine so replacement of the whole machine seems unnnessesary. 

part of the problem is handling. My Dad enjoys his laptop, but his eyesight isnt that good and he has to hold the machine up close to his eyes to read certain things. This has put a lot of strain on the casing - which to be honest wasnt the toughest or best quality in the first place. I am wondering also if anyone knew of anything that could be used to support the laptop whilst holding it? 

Any help woud be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:39 PM

The lid where the display element is housed isn't that hard but I also suspect the hinge mounts on the bottom aren't holding up too well either.  The bottom mounts are the most difficult as ALL the hardware has to come out and mount in the new plastic.  Sometimes a generous application of hot glue to fill in the area around the hinge mounts while awaiting parts.  Damage can also occur on the ribbon cables that pass through the hinge area.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,209 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:16 PM

How is he lifting this laptop - by the screen or by the body ?  If he is lifting it by the screen, get him to stop ! Secondly . . .

Where is he using this laptop ?  At a table, in an armchair or in bed ?  If at a table it wouldn't be too difficult to raise it somewhat, a couple of piles of books would do the job, but not too high. Or something like the book holder you find on a lectern or in a pulpit. If it's in an armchair he could try something as simple as a plank across the arms (well, perhaps something more elegant than a plain bit of rough plank). If he is using it in bed, well, I've run out of ideas.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:33 AM

I think he has been picking it up at times by the lid but since the damage occurred I think he's been more carefull!

Laptop is used in an armchair. It has its own small table (a little side/coffee table) next to the armchair. A lot of the time it stays there but every so often when dad wants to look at or read something close up the laptop is picked up and cradled in one arm, hand supporting the screen/lid. I am sure this handling has contributed to the damage.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,209 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:06 PM

As far as dismantling the laptop goes, have a look on Youtube for videos on how this laptop comes to pieces - search Youtube for 'Make, model, screen or dismantle'. there are a lot of very good videos on Youtube on this sort of thing. This would at least give you an idea of what would be involved, some are much easier to take apart than others.

This has little to do with computers, but might help your dad. I wear varifocal glasses (the lens has three sections) and the close range bit is at the bottom. I had my optician make me up a cheap pair of glasses solely configured for close range work. I used them both at my work and still when spending any significant time at my desktop. It could be worth your dad thinking about this since he is probably short sighted as I am.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users