Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse randomly won't respond until I plug it back in

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yamiikaze

yamiikaze

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:34 AM

Earlier this week I installed a new motherboard (Gigabyte H110M-A). Shortly after, my mouse would randomly stop responding to input until I plug it back in. This sometimes happens every few minutes ranging to once every couple of hours. When I plug a new mouse in, only the new mouse works for a period of time before also becoming unresponsive. The strange thing is that the keyboard works just fine throughout all of this. This happens on both the USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports in my motherboard as well as the 2 USB 2.0 ports in my keyboard (keyboard still works fine after mouse stops responding). The mouse lights are also still working throughout all of this. I have tried BIOS updates, driver updates for everything on my computer (including chipset), system restore and driver updates afterwards, and enable/disable legacy USB support and XHCI Mode in the BIOS. Not sure what else to do aside from replacing the motherboard. Any help would be appreciated.

I'd like to add that the mouse is a Steelseries Sensei RAW white edition.

Edited by yamiikaze, 25 July 2016 - 03:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:21 AM

I don't know what OS you are using but have you tried disabling USB Selective Suspend?

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html

In Device Manager right click your Mouse and select Properties. Under the Power Management tab make sure the box next to Allow Computer to turn off the device is not checked.

#3 yamiikaze

yamiikaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:25 AM

I don't know what OS you are using but have you tried disabling USB Selective Suspend?

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html

In Device Manager right click your Mouse and select Properties. Under the Power Management tab make sure the box next to Allow Computer to turn off the device is not checked.

Yes, I already have USB Selective Suspend turned off.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:47 AM

To rule out a hardware problem boot a live linux distro like Mint or Ubuntu and see if you get the mouse drop outs. If you prefer you can download Fatdog64 which is a smaller download. Either burn the iso to disk or use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive.

#5 yamiikaze

yamiikaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:44 PM

Thank you JohnC for the help, I appreciate it.

I fixed this issue by trying a different mouse. It appears to be that both of the gaming mice that I tried had drivers that did not work well with the motherboard that I have. Also, my Wacom tablet (CTL-480) also had drivers that were conflicting with the motherboard, leading to microstutters in certain games like league of legends and hearthstone. The microstutters stopped almost immediately after I unplugged the tablet. Overwatch worked fine, however.

Edited by yamiikaze, 26 July 2016 - 01:25 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 01:14 PM

Nice troubleshooting. Glad you got it sorted out and thanks for taking the time to post an update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users