Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2010 lost my Address Book and Contacts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 01:05 AM

This is a story of two computers. The old one is a Dell and the replacement is an HP (also old - but works fine).

My Dell desktop quit working recently. Discussions on a hardware forum indicated possible motherboard failure. The Dell had two hard drives. The C Drive with the OS (Win 7) and Office 2010 (email with Outlook 2010) and the D Drive with all my personal files.

To make sure I preserved the hard drives I obtained an adapter, took the hard drives out, read them both with my laptop, so both drives are fine.

I located a used HP desktop from which its hard drive had been removed. I hooked up my D Drive to the HP and installed Windows 7 and Office 2010. All of my personal files remained intact.

I set up Outlook 2010 which automatically found my two email accounts but my address book and contacts list did not appear.

I still have my Dell's C Drive hooked to my laptop. The C Drive from my old Dell still has the Windows 7 OS and Office 2010.

I've located two places on the C Drive that appear to have Outlook files:

Users - Me - AppData - Local - Microsoft - Outlook

Users - Me - AppData - Roaming - Microsoft - Outlook

I don't know how to read those files, I don't know if my address book and contents are in there and, if they are, I have no idea how to retrieve them.

Even if they aren't in those folders they've got to be somewhere on the drive that has the OS and Office.

What do I do next?

Thanks.
progress.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:17 AM

From file options show hidden files and folders, then copy the contents of both of those folders onto your new machine before running Outlook for the first time.

Your accounts should appear as they did before, without further configuration.

#3 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:00 AM

Thanks, but I had already run Outlook without doing that.

Would it work to just to replace the current files with the corresponding files from the old hard drive?

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:01 PM

You could try, though I've had to uninstall office and remove all the Appdata remnants before to make it work like this.

Just remembered this morning you also need to import

drive:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

to make the migration work.

There is probably another way involving the pst's, it's just that I don't know it. (pretty sure the address book is stored in a pst, but how to identify the correct one pre import etc.).

#5 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:33 PM

I located the .pst files on the old drive and poked around the internet some and found a tip for Outlook 2007 that also worked for Outlook 2010.

File - Open - Import - Brings up the Import Wizard (who knew?). Import Wizard explains all the choices and the one for me was "Import from another program or file."

I had moved the .pst files on to a USB drive, stuck that into the computer, browsed to the folder location and the Wizard did the rest.

I recovered all my old emails and the address/contact list.

There are still files in the folder you just mentioned as well as in an Outlook folder under Roaming but it looks like Outlook created new ones of those already so I'm going to quit while I'm ahead.

Thanks for your help.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:38 PM

You're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users