Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Device Manager Tweak

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 EncoMan

EncoMan

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:22 AM

I'm sure most of you have a third party Registry Editor.  Windows own Regedit is so limited it's practically
useless.  I've tried many, but for some reason I stay with an old app called MicroPlanet Registry Studio.
They all have similar features.  You type something into a search box and a list is created matching your
criteria.

All of the actual names for your hardware in Device Manager appear under the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" Hive.
For example, I didn't like the name assigned to my keyboard, so I found the Key(s) and modified the Value
name under "DeviceDesc."

The Properties Sheet in Device Manager has a "Details" tab, but I want to see the full pathname for each
item.  This would be extremely helpful when there are several identical listings.  Just look under "Universal
Serial Bus Controllers."  We all have numerous listings for "Generic USB Hub" or "USB Root Hub."

Here is a tweak that's suppose to show the full Registry pathname for each item in Device Manager:

http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/1175/

I created a new Value and nothing changed.  Not sure why it failed to work.  Is there a solution?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users