Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sygate

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 is-it-a-fish

is-it-a-fish

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 07 December 2004 - 02:49 PM

this is the snapshot of sygate fire wall could someone please explain what the two things highlighted in red are and what they do?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/is-...sh/96fbdc9c.bmp

thanks

this is a link that works thankfully

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/is-...sh/untitled.bmp

Edited by is-it-a-fish, 08 December 2004 - 08:56 AM.

words of wisdom

incase you were wondering...

lack of spelling

In these halls of mirrors built by liars i am a pale reflrestion of myself..

"Applying computer technology is simply finding the right wrench to pound in the correct screw." Anonymous

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 07 December 2004 - 03:00 PM

is-it-a-fish, I checked the screenshot... tryin' to figure it out. I am typically in a phawgg about 50% of computer related matters. I do use Sygate, but it looks like the dead of night to me. :thumbsup: . Perhaps another view? Thanks

BTW, I bookmarked your intriguing link. Cheerful stuff. :flowers:

Edited by phawgg, 07 December 2004 - 03:09 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2004 - 08:19 PM

Unfortunately, the bitmap is too small to be read comfortably, and when enlarged becomes fuzzy. Can you just list the two programs that are running?
Thanks
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 is-it-a-fish

is-it-a-fish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2004 - 02:14 PM

nt kernel and system and generic host prosesses for win32 services..
words of wisdom

incase you were wondering...

lack of spelling

In these halls of mirrors built by liars i am a pale reflrestion of myself..

"Applying computer technology is simply finding the right wrench to pound in the correct screw." Anonymous

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 09 December 2004 - 02:42 PM

is-it-a-fish, that helps. As I have admitted before, understanding the firewall operation & windows itself is an ongoing struggle for me. To put an answer in plain language is always my goal. If I can't, then second best is linking to technical discussions.

Compedia here defines generic host processes for win32 as:
Also known as: svchost.exe
Svchost.exe is a program that loads Windows services that are in the form of dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). It is possible for more than one svchost.exe to be running at one time, with more than 1 service being controlled by that process.

system I understand to be just that. The process you find in the task manager.

NT Kernal is defined by microsoft in this one of 2.5 million google responses. I'm sorry I can'y summarize it well for you (or myself)

I can say this: all three of those I allow access to when considering what to do about them in regards to the firewall. Denying them does effect things. For instance, hyperlinking using Excel or Word documents is broken when you deny the generic host process for win32. I've done that trial & error.

In short, they are all windows-related. I haven't had any malware-related problems attached to them precisely. Which is not to say someone else may have a better answer. I set sygate to "ask" when they "call to have access". Seems to work fine for me. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users