Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mobile Hotspot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AliceZ

AliceZ

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 07:58 PM

Hope I posted this to correct area. I want to purchase a mobile hotspot for my tablet, so I can use laptop with wifi. I had Internet On The Go, but they are really bad with customer support. It was no contract and you only had to add money when you were running out of minutes. With IOTG you didn't have to keep adding money every month to keep it active. Is there another similar mobile hotspot that might be similar to the IOTG?  No contract, no adding money every month, etc.?  

I think it might be called "Pay as you go."

Karma Go ?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by AliceZ, 24 July 2016 - 10:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:15 PM

I don't know of any others off the top of my head other than IOTG which doesn't help with your answer much & sorry about that. However, you need to understand that the IOTG device in fact is just a router device allowing tethering that works with the cell phone towers. So everything falls on how well the coverage is just like a cell phone would. If you get terrible cell phone signals, then that will likely reflect on the IOTG device as well. It might be better to use cell service like Cricket, T-mobile that has better coverage and cheap unlimited internet. Then you tether that cell phone to your PC. Some cell phone service providers might charge for tethering. Especially if the cell phone you're leasing is branded by them. They lock that feature and charge for it. :::rolls eyes:::

Edited by technonymous, 24 July 2016 - 10:21 PM.

#3 AliceZ

AliceZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:25 PM

Thanks. Did you read my editing on original post? Karma or something similar? Pay as you go, I think it is called.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:40 PM

I haven't heard of them. I did a little digging and found Verizon has something similar...https://www.verizonwireless.com/internet-devices/jetpack-mifi-6620l/

#5 AliceZ

AliceZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:35 AM

Thanks. I believe that Verizon is a 2 year contract phone. I wanted one that is:

"as you use it up, you recharge it with more data — that data never expires, and you have no monthly fees or charges to deal with — once you've paid for it, you don't pay again until you run out of data."

But, guess I am out of luck. Probably all or most of them come with contracts. I don't use it that often so I would be paying for something I didn't use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users