Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound through Laptop speakers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 06:06 PM

HI, I received a windows 10 Asus laptop with a headphone jack plug broken in the socket. I could not get it out so I drilled it. Surprisingly the socket now works fine when a headphone is plugged in. However there is no sound from the laptop speakers with Windows 10 or Linux, It's almost as though both Windows and Linux think a headphone jack is still plugged in and that might be why sound is not being directed to the speakers.

A USB headphone also works fine.

I'm tempted to remove the audio socket from the motherboard to see if that directs the sound to the speakers but that's a bit time consuming and it seem very likely it wont work.

I ran the Windows audio trouble shooter and in the end it said that the generic audio driver was not fixed

So I installed the drivers for the Generic audio driver - but with no change. It's still not fixed according to the Windows 10 audio troubleshooter.

I also updated the other sound card drivers

Should I remove the jack socket or is there some registry setting I can test? Bearing in mind that Linux has the same problem with this laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:41 AM

Seems that you are not alone with this issue.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/how-do-you-disable-headphone-jack-detection-in/bb3ca8b0-1024-4877-ad71-b29c25e61921?auth=1

#3 HairCut

HairCut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 01:36 AM

Thanks that was a very useful page.

I checked sound settings in the control panel and in HD audio manager. On double clicking the Analogue device icon there was an option to choose The current connected device - "which device did you plug in"

Headphone was checked so I changed it to Mic In (there's nothing plugged in) and now I have sound to the speakers.

Awesome. Thanks

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 01:44 AM

Glad to hear you are sorted :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users