Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A friend unexpectedly has gone from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and is confused

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cherold

cherold

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 03:55 PM

A friend of mine loaned her PC to her nephew for four months. When she got it back, it had Windows 10 on it, instead of Windows 7. It's too late to roll it back, I don't know Windows 10, she's not very good with computers, and I'm hoping someone here could help me figure out how to get things back to where she is comfortable with the system.

First off, she's very upset that all her desktop icons are gone, because that's how she got to everything. For example, she had a "my documents" icon. Now she apparently doesn't, and while she can search for individual documents, she doesn't know how to find her My Documents folder. And when I google "where is the documents folder for Windows 10" I just get threads on how to recover missing documents.

She also had things like email and browser as shortcuts. And she doesn't even know which ones she was using. I asked what email reader she was using and she said, I don't know. Which makes it tricky.

Ideally there would still be her old desktop folder on her new PC, but from what I've read, Microsoft wipes all the old stuff after a month.

So, how does she get a My documents shortcut on her desktop, and also other shortcuts for music or for subfolders in Documents she used to have on her desktop? Is there any way for her to retrieve the information on what browser and email and music player she was using before, or will she simply need to try everything on her PC until something looks familiar?

How can she get the Windows 10 desktop to be enough like the Windows 7 desktop that she'll be comfortable using it?

Thanks for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 04:08 PM

Right click on the start button.

Select File explorer

Documents will appear in the letf hand column

Right click on it and select "send to"

Click on "Desktop" (create shortcut)

Try that for starters

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 04:15 PM

Then.....have a slow read through THIS PAGE   

All information from the old install of Win 7 will be in the .old folder

That link will tell you how to retrieve that info

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 04:17 PM

Do what @Condebloke suggested, and rename the shortcut to My Documents

Now, the other major thing that will be different (aside from the start menu, and the default apps) will be Edge. If your friend uses IE, then well...you can always create a shortcut for that, but I suggest to teach how to use Edge. IE is not being developed anymore. Microsoft only releases security patches, and Edge is more secure.

As for the things being kept for a month, if you can't rollback now, it means the Windows.old folder is deleted, so that is not a possibility anymore :(

-CKing

Edited by CKing123, 24 July 2016 - 04:17 PM.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#5 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 04:22 PM

In addition to the excellent advice already offered, Classic Shell will allow her to get back a familiar Windows 7 start menu (and Windows "Explorer" (now called "File Explorer")), if she wishes to do so.

The other major concern I would have would be the possibility of PUPS, other unwanted software or even malware on the system after four months in the possession of another user.

Once Win10 is more or less configured to be usable, I might head over to the MRL section of this forum in order to have one of the malware experts assist with checking the system...

Just a thought,

MM

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 04:55 PM

Hi,

So, how does she get a My documents shortcut on her desktop, and also other shortcuts for music or for subfolders in Documents she used to have on her desktop?

The default Desktop system icons can be enabled on Windows 10 like it was on Windows 7, check the steps here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/display-my-computer-icon-on-the-desktop-in-windows-vista/

Edited by SleepyDude, 24 July 2016 - 04:55 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users