Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Range of various problems with Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Niall123

Niall123

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 01:26 PM

1. Start menu not working and taskbar semi-functional. Taskbar stops working a few minutes after startup since recently.

2. All Windows 10 applications (i.e. Calculator, Settings, Photos etc.) no longer working

3. Right-clicking Recycle Bin (and some other files/folders) results in desktop/explorer.exe becoming unresponsive. Right-clicking file and selecting open with also causes freze

4. Task Manager not working

5. Google Chrome (and IE) not working. I currently have to use Firefox, which does work

My PC has had these problems for months but it has got worse recently.

I tried to restore to two different restore points but both failed. Also tried various solutions found online to fix the start menu/taskbar without success.

Can anyone help me please?

Edited by Niall123, 24 July 2016 - 01:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 01:43 PM

Well I haven't really had any issues with anything as of recently. Perhaps the issues may have been caused by a windows update  or something. perhaps turning off the computer and turning back on again my help.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 02:19 PM

It sounds like you've either somehow gotten corrupt files or you've picked up some malware.  Open an administrator command prompt and issue this command: sfc /scannow .  After that download, install, update, and scan with MalwareBytes.  If the problem persists after that, post in the Am I Infected forum.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 Niall123

Niall123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 07:35 PM

Well I haven't really had any issues with anything as of recently. Perhaps the issues may have been caused by a windows update  or something. perhaps turning off the computer and turning back on again my help.

Did you really have to say that?

It sounds like you've either somehow gotten corrupt files or you've picked up some malware.  Open an administrator command prompt and issue this command: sfc /scannow .  After that download, install, update, and scan with MalwareBytes.  If the problem persists after that, post in the Am I Infected forum.

Good luck.

I've tried that before. I've had this problem for months and have regularly run scans with Norton and MalwareBytes so I don't think malware is the problem.

Edited by Niall123, 24 July 2016 - 07:39 PM.

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:53 PM

Looks complicated but it isn't really :)

Do a repair install of Windows 10 from disk.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:06 PM

SFC has nothing to do with viruses or malware.  If you haven't run it, you're missing out on a valuable tool that might help you.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users