Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista can't update & .exe files can't run

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JapRey68

JapRey68

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 12:25 PM

Hi guys

I keep on getting error Code 80072EFD when trying to update Windows.

I am running on Windows Vista Home Premium Version 6.0 (Build 6002: Service Pack 2)

I also can't run any .exe files.  I do not know if the problems are linked to each other.  But is sure "feels" like the solution to the 80072EFD code is to run some sort of exe file, as this is one of the few solutions I have not tried yet.

I don't know the proper jargon of all the solutions I have tried, so I will try my best to explain.

Resolving the .exe issue, I have copied and pasted some text in Notepad, saved it as a .reg file, followed by a few steps where I had to "merge" the file.  This did not work.

I have copied and pasted some text in Notepad, and "imported" by a command in the "cmd" application.

Trying to resolve the 80072EFD problem, I opened Internet Explorer, Tools, Connections, LAN Settings, Advanced, and then pasted a few links in the Exception.  After this I got an error "The settings for the proxy server you've chosen to use are blank.  This prevents access to the Internet.  Do you want to turn off the proxy connection?"  After which I tried to fix this problem again...and failed.

Another solution was to add the same links to the windows firewall exceptions list.  I cant remember the exact details, but I could not add a "website link", only programs to be added on the exceptions.

Any help please guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 03:51 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

Is your computer booting at all ?  If it is, as a first step try a 'system restore' if you have a restore point that pre-dates the start of this problem. To do this -

Click 'Start - Control panel - Recovery - Open system restore'. These instructions are from win 7 but I believe that Vista is virtually identical. This will produce a screen listing the available restore points. If necessary clcik on the button at bottom left to bring up more restore points (if there are any). Pick the latst that pre-dates the start of your problem and let it run, accepting any warnings you may get, and don't do anything until it says it has finished.

It may not have an earlier restore point or it may not manage to repair your system, in which case post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:59 AM

Hi JapRey68,

To add to what Chris Cosgrove posted, in a lot more detail.

From Microsoft, if BITS needs to be Repaired / Re-started and is installed - > BITS Repair Tool for Windows Vista (KB940520)

Under L.A.N Settings, all you should do is tick the top left box See Below and Click Apply > OK > OK. Your Internet Provider should have set the rest.

Other wise you may have created many problems for yourself, and you might as well take the Windows 10 offer this week (if you can).

Attached File  LAN Settings.JPG   56KB   0 downloads

NEXT:

What Antivirus and Antimalware programs are running, or attempting to run.

NEXT:

Running the System Restore utility
1.  Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click System Restore.
2.  Click
Continue (if requested) or provide Administrator credentials if necessary.
3.  Click Choose a different restore point, and then click Next.
4.  Select a
Date and Time prior to first sign of the issue you’ve described.
5.  If the date you need is in excess of (5) days click the Show restore points older than 5 days check box.

NEXT:

Run the System File Checker (for Vista and Windows7)... This will take about 20 minutes ...
1.  Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator. <=
Very Important.
2.  Click Continue / agree / or supply Administrator credentials if prompted.
3.  In the Command Prompt window type the following : sfc /scannow, Note the single space between c and / as it must be there to run correctly then press Enter:
4.  You should see the following (or similar) on-screen messages:
Beginning the system scan....... This process will take some time............Beginning verification phase of system scan.............Verification % complete.
5.  Once the scan has completed you may receive an onscreen message – indicating the basic results.
6.  If system corruption was found “that could not be repaired” it may be necessary to perform an In-Place Upgrade of the Operating System or further work.

In your reply please tell me If M/soft repair tool worked,

What Antivirus and Antimalware programs you have running.

If System Restore fixed the problem.

If sfc /scannow ran or left a message.

Thank You ...

Edited by Jaycan, 25 July 2016 - 04:24 PM.

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#4 JapRey68

JapRey68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:44 AM

Hi guys

Thank you for the response and advice

When I tried to run the M/Soft repair tool (BITS) the file was successfully downloaded, as an .exe file.  I double clicked it, and the program started to run.  But then it gave me the following error.

"Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) repair is not required currently.  Find more information on the BITS repair tool at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940520.

Antivirus program is a free Avast version, which "seems" to be working okay...?

Don't know how to check for Antimalware...which I guess is save to say then I might not have any Antimalware program currently.  Firstly tell me how to check if I actually do have Antimalware, before recommending any.

System Restore went slightly different than described above, but I manage to get it right at the end.

After this step, I tried to run three different .exe files, just to make sure.  But non of them launched.  I thought it would work by now, seeing that the BITS file was also an .exe file.  But the problem was still the same, no .exe files want to start.

I started with the sfc /scannow, and received the following message at the end:

"Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

Detials are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.  For example

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"

I wanted to copy and past the details which were in the CBS.log, but it quite a lot of text.

Thank you for the LAN Settings on Internet Explorer!!

Windows still can't check for updates, and I still cant run any .exe files.

Do you have any other ideas?

Will fixing the Windows Update not sort out the .exe problem?  Or is running an .exe file part of getting Windows to update?

#5 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:19 AM

Ni -

One last option, then repost into Am I Infected forum area (and include what you have attempted) ,..

This is a "handy tool to reset .EXE's and a quick check for other small problems, and has fixed a few other problems

Please download Rkill (courtesy of BleepingComputer.com) to your desktop.

• There are 2 different versions. If one of them won't run then download and try to run the other one.
  • You only need to get one of these to run, not all of them.
  • You may get warnings from your antivirus about this tool, ignore them or shutdown your antivirus.
  • Link #1 rKill.exe: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/10/
  • Link #2 Explore.exe (renamed rKill.exe): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/11/
  • If using Windows Vista, 7, 8  or 10 right-click on it and choose Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash (2 minutes is usually maximum) and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2..;

If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let us know.
If normal mode still doesn't work, run the tool from safe mode.
When the scan is done Notepad will open with Rkill log.
Post it in your next reply.
NOTE. Rkill.txt log will also be present on your desktop.

This could be due to bad (infected) EXE's, another infection, or several other problems.

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#6 JapRey68

JapRey68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 12:36 PM

Hi guys

So the last post have fixed the .exe problem!! Thank you very much.

Copy from Notepad:

"kill 2.8.4 by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/

Copyright 2008-2016 BleepingComputer.com

More Information about Rkill can be found at this link:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html

Program started at: 08/03/2016 07:18:23 PM in x86 mode.

Windows Version: Windows Vista ™ Home Premium Service Pack 2

Checking for Windows services to stop:

* No malware services found to stop.

Checking for processes to terminate:

* C:\Windows\PLFSetI.exe (PID: 2772) [WD-HEUR]

* C:\Users\ADMINI~1.000\AppData\Local\Temp\RtkBtMnt.exe (PID: 3204) [SUP-HEUR]

2 proccesses terminated!

Checking Registry for malware related settings:

* No issues found in the Registry.

Resetting .EXE, .COM, & .BAT associations in the Windows Registry.

Performing miscellaneous checks:

* Windows Defender Disabled

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender]

"DisableAntiSpyware" = dword:00000001

Checking Windows Service Integrity: 

* Windows Defender (WinDefend) is not Running.

Startup Type set to: Automatic

Searching for Missing Digital Signatures: 

* No issues found.

Checking HOSTS File: 

* HOSTS file entries found: 

127.0.0.1       localhost

::1             localhost

Program finished at: 08/03/2016 07:19:42 PM

Execution time: 0 hours(s), 1 minute(s), and 19 seconds(s)"

vYou should now be able to run your normal security programs so that you can scan for computer infections.

A log file called Rkill.txt has been created on your desktop and will be shown automatically.  This file contains information on what actions were performed on your computer by Rkill.

Copy from Notepad:

"kill 2.8.4 by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/

Copyright 2008-2016 BleepingComputer.com

More Information about Rkill can be found at this link:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html

Program started at: 08/03/2016 07:18:23 PM in x86 mode.

Windows Version: Windows Vista ™ Home Premium Service Pack 2

Checking for Windows services to stop:

* No malware services found to stop.

Checking for processes to terminate:

* C:\Windows\PLFSetI.exe (PID: 2772) [WD-HEUR]

* C:\Users\ADMINI~1.000\AppData\Local\Temp\RtkBtMnt.exe (PID: 3204) [SUP-HEUR]

2 proccesses terminated!

Checking Registry for malware related settings:

* No issues found in the Registry.

Resetting .EXE, .COM, & .BAT associations in the Windows Registry.

Performing miscellaneous checks:

* Windows Defender Disabled

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender]

"DisableAntiSpyware" = dword:00000001

Checking Windows Service Integrity: 

* Windows Defender (WinDefend) is not Running.

Startup Type set to: Automatic

Searching for Missing Digital Signatures: 

* No issues found.

Checking HOSTS File: 

* HOSTS file entries found: 

127.0.0.1       localhost

::1             localhost

Program finished at: 08/03/2016 07:19:42 PM

Execution time: 0 hours(s), 1 minute(s), and 19 seconds(s)"

No I still need to sort out the Windows update.  Still getting the Error 80072EFD when trying to check for updates.  I am going to try and fix this on my own, but if anyone wants to make a suggestion, you are welcome.

If I cant fix it myself, I am going to ask in any case :-) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users