Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot save files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bar-none

Bar-none

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 09:36 AM

Since upgrading to Windows 10 I get the message when I try to save a Windows Excel file:   'UTILITIES.xls' is read only.  To save a copy, click OK, then give the workbook a new name in the Save As dialog box.

When I do that and give the file a new name I get this message:  Cannot save 'C:\UTILITIES2.XLS'.  The folder is marked as Read Only'.

Why does this not work and why do I have to rename it anyway?  I am using Microsoft Office Word 2003 and Windows 10.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:07 AM

Hello Bar-none and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer

Save it to another folder. The folder you are trying to save to, it is read only so you can't put new files in there

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:20 AM

+1 for CKing; it's best to not save data files in the C partition root directory.  In other words, create your desired data folders and save your data files in those folders.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:22 AM

You should probably save it to C:\Users\(name)\Documents or the Desktop folder

The root C: is not meant for storing files like @RonaldJS has said :)

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#5 Bar-none

Bar-none
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:46 AM

Didn't know it was going to be so simple.  Thank you all very much.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:52 AM

Just FYI - Office 2003 seems to work with W10, but Microsoft hasn't certified it as compatible.
As such, strange errors may just be compatibility issues.

For example, newer versions of Office will automatically rename the file for you when attempting to save it.

And, as I recall, even the older versions will prompt you to rename if trying to save over an existing copy (don't know their behavior in W10 tho')

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users