Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Noob seeking advice on which motherboard+processor combo

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 j1983

j1983

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:39 AM

I may need a new pc soon, there are plenty of options from local stores with their own builds. It's confusing as hell, any type of input would be appreciated. 

First option is on the lower end of my budget:

I-3 4160 3.6Ghz 2 core 3M (1150)    Intel HD Graphics 4400 22nm

Either an H81 or B85 Asus motherboard (B85m-g 4sata 6gb/s 2 sata 3gb/s)

8GB DDR3 1600 ram

This falls into the lower end of my budget and it seems great for my needs mostly watching movies with some light photoshop usage and no gaming at all, although I do have Red Alert 2 and I may consider playing The Sims again. 

The next options are about 50-70usd more. 

I3-6100 2 core 3.7Ghz 3M (1151) intel HD Graphics 530 14nm

Asus B150 M-A I like this (6 sata 6gb/s and DDR4 ram)

8gb DDR4 2133 ram

I5-4460 (1150) 4 core 3.2 6M Intel HD Graphics 4600 22nm

B85M-G (4sata 6Gb/s 2 Sata 3Gb/s)

8gb 1600 ram

I'm currently using an old dell e521 with 2gb of ddr2 ram, Amd Athlon 64 x2 dual core 3800+ 2ghz  Sapphire 5450 gpu, which I'm happy with watching movies, dowloading, livestreaming and doing some Photoshop on. If it weren't spazzing out on me, I wouldn't even consider getting a new pc so any of these is a big step up. 

All three fit within my budget but I'd rather not spend any more than I have to right now. I like the quad core cpu on the third combination but for some reason I prefer the B150  motherboard from the second combo and it's ddr4 ram over the B85 and it's ddr3 ram. I don't know if I should even consider the H81's that are being offered with the lower end builds. 

I don't know if there's a big difference between the onboard graphics 4400, 4600 and the 530 but I'd like not to have to buy a gpu if I can get away with it, but that's always an option sometime later. 

Please let me know what you guys think. I don't know if I'm focusing on the wrong things here for my needs. I'm not a PC builder or power user, I don't foresee a lot of upgrades in the future (maybe more ram and a gpu) but for some reason I am leaning towards the newer  B150 motherboard over the others.

As mentioned before, I do some photoshop work and I have been meaning to get into some light video editing and putting together short clips from my camera's outputting 720 and 1080 vids. 

Edited by j1983, 24 July 2016 - 09:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 09:06 AM

And, if you're adding a high-end video card, adding maybe a high-end sound card, consider finding a power supply that will "laugh not sigh" at the needed wattage to run all those nice things.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:54 AM

I may need a new pc soon, there are plenty of options from local stores with their own builds. It's confusing as hell, any type of input would be appreciated.
First option is on the lower end of my budget:

I-3 4160 3.6Ghz 2 core 3M (1150) Intel HD Graphics 4400 22nm
Either an H81 or B85 Asus motherboard (B85m-g 4sata 6gb/s 2 sata 3gb/s)
8GB DDR3 1600 ram
This falls into the lower end of my budget and it seems great for my needs mostly watching movies with some light photoshop usage and no gaming at all, although I do have Red Alert 2 and I may consider playing The Sims again.

The next options are about 50-70usd more.

I3-6100 2 core 3.7Ghz 3M (1151) intel HD Graphics 530 14nm
Asus B150 M-A I like this (6 sata 6gb/s and DDR4 ram)
8gb DDR4 2133 ram

I5-4460 (1150) 4 core 3.2 6M Intel HD Graphics 4600 22nm
B85M-G (4sata 6Gb/s 2 Sata 3Gb/s)
8gb 1600 ram

I'm currently using an old dell e521 with 2gb of ddr2 ram, Amd Athlon 64 x2 dual core 3800+ 2ghz Sapphire 5450 gpu, which I'm happy with watching movies, dowloading, livestreaming and doing some Photoshop on. If it weren't spazzing out on me, I wouldn't even consider getting a new pc so any of these is a big step up.

All three fit within my budget but I'd rather not spend any more than I have to right now. I like the quad core cpu on the third combination but for some reason I prefer the B150 motherboard from the second combo and it's ddr4 ram over the B85 and it's ddr3 ram. I don't know if I should even consider the H81's that are being offered with the lower end builds.
I don't know if there's a big difference between the onboard graphics 4400, 4600 and the 530 but I'd like not to have to buy a gpu if I can get away with it, but that's always an option sometime later.

Please let me know what you guys think. I don't know if I'm focusing on the wrong things here for my needs. I'm not a PC builder or power user, I don't foresee a lot of upgrades in the future (maybe more ram and a gpu) but for some reason I am leaning towards the newer B150 motherboard over the others.
As mentioned before, I do some photoshop work and I have been meaning to get into some light video editing and putting together short clips from my camera's outputting 720 and 1080 vids.

I will show you good mobo http://pcpartpicker.com/product/rLs8TW/msi-motherboard-h110mgaming and intel core i5 and i7 with k are good. Onboard cards are slow gpu are fine.
To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 12:31 PM

Unless you enjoy spending money for capabilities which you won't utilize and don't need...I would let common sense lead the way when choosing components.  I get no enjoyment out of being able to say that I have components that do the job equally as well as components that may be considerably less expensive.  If "better" isn't in my evaluation somewhere. color me as doing my best to keep the economy strong, at my expense :).

I think that, if I felt the need to spend more on a component build...I would investigate today's PSUs and better CPU cooling, rather than more impressive-sounding other hardware components.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 July 2016 - 12:35 PM.

#5 Robert House

Robert House

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:40 PM

I needed to hear that right now. Thank you too sir.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:23 PM

+1 Hamlius; however, thread starter - after taking a long hard look at what you really need, and buying only what you really need, an adequate power supply finishes the project nicely.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 j1983

j1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:23 PM

I appreciate the wisdom although some direct advice would have helped too :)   The reason this is so confusing for me is I usually buy a pc once every 7-10 years and I'm wondering if the more recent i-3 6110 with it's B150 skylake would be better in terms of upgradability in the coming years compared to the slightly older but more powerful i-5 4460. 

I'm not really planning on any performance upgrades aside from maybe some additional ram, but in terms of finding replacement parts I've found buying the most recent available models are easier to find parts for. 

I have an antec 500w on my current pc that I plan on using with the new pc, it should be ok afaik. 

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 04:49 AM

I appreciate the wisdom although some direct advice would have helped too :)   The reason this is so confusing for me is I usually buy a pc once every 7-10 years and I'm wondering if the more recent i-3 6110 with it's B150 skylake would be better in terms of upgradability in the coming years compared to the slightly older but more powerful i-5 4460. 

I'm not really planning on any performance upgrades aside from maybe some additional ram, but in terms of finding replacement parts I've found buying the most recent available models are easier to find parts for. 

I have an antec 500w on my current pc that I plan on using with the new pc, it should be ok afaik. 

Upgradability is about same on both platforms. For CPU upgrade, you want very cheap CPU and switch it to cheap and much more powerful one. i3-6110 is too expensive and i5-4460 has no valid upgrade path available ("upgrade" to i7 is too small upgrade).

That Antec 500W (Earthwatts?) is probably old and has not very good quality capacitors. I would change it too.

If you want cheap option, I recommend forgetting that upgrade thing and go for something cheap but nor upgradable. Like AMD FX-8320e build.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users