Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Threads For Windows 10 Upgrade Install? Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jackz4000

jackz4000

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:37 AM

This week I'm going to try Upgrading from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro on a couple Dell Precision M6400's. I've only done a few clean installs and never an Upgrade and looking for some good info on it. I've read it's mainly automatic? I just hate starting something blindlt and suddenly need basic info and have to go digging for it.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

I have Win 10 Ent on another which was a clean install and is working fine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:46 AM

The W10 upgrade is similar to any other upgrade installation.  IMO it's actually a tiny bit smoother - but I believe that that's due to what Microsoft has learned with the upgrade process on previous OS's

The critical factors here are:

- the age of the installation (how long has Windows been installed on this hardware)

- how well used the installation is (did you use this daily, or was it put in a closet and left until now)

- how much stuff you have installed on it, and how well updated all of that stuff is.

In short, the older and more well used the system is, the more likely it is that you'll experience problems when installing the W10 update.

There's several different ways to help offset this:

- backup your data before starting.

- create a system image (in case you want to go back to the previous OS).  Sometimes the revert process will fail, leaving you without an OS

- capture your W7/8/8.1 product key before starting

- ensure that the W7/8/8.1 system is activated (and with W8/8.1, check to be sure it's permanently activated on Microsoft's servers)

- set a system restore point before starting.

- download the USB W10 drive to make a clean install (if needed) ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/ ).  It also has repair tools on it, so I suggest downloading it first (you may want to wait until August 2nd for the Anniversary Update version).

- as soon as you get into W10, ensure that the system is activated (that way you won't have problems if you have to reinstall)

If the update fails, post back for more detailed instructions.

Include info on how far the installation went before it failed, and what happened after the failure.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 jackz4000

jackz4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:43 AM

Thanks usasma, I did everything but the USB which I'[ll do after the 2nd. I did a fresh install of Win 7 SP 64 bit about 10 months ago and is Updated to current. It has 8 or 9 programs and I only use it a few hours per week, some weeks not at all. I rotate laptops.

More on this install is here, having problems:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/621078/very-slow-windows-10-installjust-hanging/

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:51 AM

I'd suggest that you keep everything in one topic

I'd suggest using the other one and abandoning this one.

I'll post over there with some suggestions......

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users