Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New build has USB Device Descrptior Request Failed Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 liberty610

liberty610

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 05:32 AM

Hey guys... I am about ready to pull what hair I have left out of my head. I've made this as simple as I can by putting my entire parts list here:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/liberty610/saved/G48RsY

The motherboard is the main focus here I think. It is the MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon board.

I've built many pcs over the years and I have NEVER had a problem as frustrating as this. I can not pin point what's causing it, as it happens so random, and even sometimes it doesn't happen for hours on end. I am baffled and feel super deflated over this mess, as I run a small project studio for video and audio work and this is causing me to fall behind on projects.

I am getting constant on screen pop up notifications that a recent USB device isn't recognizable or 'has malfunctioned and windows doesn't recognize it' along with constant USB connect/disconnect sounds (which I have disabled the sounds in windows sound manager because I couldn't take it anymore). I just built this custom PC this past week and everything seemed fine for a couple days, and then this issue started when my nephew was playing a PC game while using a Xbox one controller in one of the USB ports.

When this issue starts, I go into device manager, and I get a yellow exclamation mark under the USB list that says 'Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed). I have hit google search and tried every single suggestion I could find including the following:

-Blowing all the dust out of all the ports (although I doubt that was an issue because the case and motherboard are brand new).

-Going into device manager, and disabling or uninstalling the device that is giving the error. It pops right back up with the USB connect sound, and then disconnect sound.

-I've tried using the internet for the latest drives while in device manager, and it shows they are up to date. I've also tried using the generic drivers after un-installing the all the USB devices. When that didn't work, I went back to the motherboard's latest drivers. The issue continues.

-I have gone in device manger and under Human Interface Devices I selected all the USB options, went to properties, power management, and disabled Windows from turning them off to save power.

-I have tried to completely unplug my computer from the outlet and leave it sit for a few minuets. Plugged it back in, rebooted, the issue is still there.

-In frustration and being flat out desperate, I reinstalled Windows 10. That did not prevent it either.

-I disconnected all USB devices, rebooted, and even with nothing plugged back into ANY of the USB ports, it was still doing it. The other night it was constantly doing it as if someone was plugging in and unplugging a USB device every 3 seconds. The windows disconnect and reconnect sound kept playing CONSTANTLY.

Even After I completely formatted  my SSD and reinstalled Windows, it was still doing it. I disconnected my USB mouse, my USB keyboard, and replaced them with a single USB wireless mouse/keyboard antenna. It stopped doing it for a good while. As I started to install software and get eveyrhting back to where I needed it, it started doing it again without me switching anything to any different USB port. Very random, sometimes it does it every few seconds, some times it takes several minuets before it will do it again. Last night it didn't pop up for a couple hours.

I have updated the bios from MSI's website to the latest version. When I reinstalled Windows 10, the first thing I did was went to MSI's website and downloaded and installed all the latest drivers. I also went into the bios and changed up a USB setting based on another forum I read. Under USB settings, I have the option to enable or disable the following:

-USB Support (currently Enabled)
-XHCI Hand off (Currently Enabled)
-UHCI Handoff (Currently Enabled)
-Legacy USB Support (Was Enabled, I tried setting to AUTO and it did not fix the issue)

I then still had the issue, so I went into the BIOS and DISABLED I believe, the UHCI hand off. After I disabled that and rebooted, the problem was gone for a good hour or two, and then came back.

I am totally baffled, and frustrated. I can not call MSI tech support until they open during the weekdays. I am just not sure if this is a driver issue, or if I am going to have to do the dreaded RMA of the motherboard. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 05:39 AM

Have you tried it with all front panel/case USB ports disconnected from the motherboard??  - i.e. any that are not permanently fixed to the motherboard back plane

#3 liberty610

liberty610
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 05:43 AM

Yes, I forgot to include that. I disconnected both the USB 2.0 front panel ports and the USB 3.0 front panel ports, then rebooted. It was still doing it. I shut down last night, booted up today, and it was still doing it on the first boot up. When I restarted shortly after that, it wasn't there. So now I am just waiting for it to pop back up again.

#4 liberty610

liberty610
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 05:56 AM

A friend found this on the official MSI website forums.... apparently I am not alone with this issue/board.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=272653.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users