Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forum Moderators.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 vacuum-tube

vacuum-tube

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 05:23 AM

Hey Everyone,

I am wondering why on Bleeping Computers Forum that certain Moderators one in particular is always jumping the gun and complaining "Way off topic, Limit the discussion to (Subject Posted) or the thread WILL be closed" seems to happen a lot.

I belong to several forums and Bleeping Computers forum is the only forum that seems to do this on a regular bases.

I understand RULES and the reason for having RULES but come on people this isn't HIGH SCHOOL.

News Flash forums do drift and that is sometimes necessary for a poster to make a point.

Forums are meant to be serious and at the same time to be fun and certain Moderators one in particular and YOU know who YOU are sound like Gomer Pyle on The Andy Griffith Show yelling "Citizens Arrest Citizens Arrest".

So come on Bleeping Computers why are certain Moderators one in particular so UPTIGHT?

Just my opinion and point of view based on my experience as a member of the forum.

Life is Good.

The Vacuum Tube

Edited by Queen-Evie, 24 July 2016 - 09:02 AM.
moved from Speak Easy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:12 AM

Whenever someone pulls out the "how other forums do it" card my response is it doesn't matter how other forums do things. We do not concern ourselves with what other forums do. Our only focus is how things are done here.

As moderators, it is our job to make sure the forum runs smoothly, deal with any problems that arise and to enforce the rules. We do this to the best of our ability. We often have to make judgement calls. Every once in while we make the wrong call but that is a part of being human.

And yes, there are warnings to stay on topic. Those have been given and will continue to be given by Advisors, Moderators, Global Moderators, Site Admins and members.

The main purpose of a topic is to address issues/problems experienced by the one who started the topic.

Unfortunately, sometimes topics go astray with things that have nothing to do with the issues or it turns into a flaming/baiting/trolling topic. Those types of posts do not help anyone. They clutter the topic with useless junk.

That in turn leads to topics with multiple pages which in the past have drawn complaints by topic starters that they felt they did not get any real information that would help. They complain about having to go through multiple pages of junk to try to find anything useful. I recall this happening with a new member. He got so confused he decided to go elsewhere for help.

It's one thing to "drift to make a point". The problems start when others "drift" to make their points and before you know it, the topic has gone so far off the rails that it ends up getting closed when stay on topic warnings get ignored. We do issue warnings in an effort to keep it on track. When a topic does it get closed because warnings were not heeded, it is totally unfair to the topic starter, who only wanted answers and help.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 24 July 2016 - 10:22 AM.

#3 vacuum-tube

vacuum-tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:41 AM

As moderators, it is our job to make sure the forum runs smoothly, deal with any problems that arise and to enforce the rules. We do this to the best of our ability. We often have to make judgement calls. Every once in while we make the wrong call but that is a part of being human.

Very fair answer.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:24 PM

Just as a personal observation, Bleeping Computer seems to me to sit as just reasonably firm with moderating. On one of my other haunts, forums.whirlpool.net.au (not as a Mod) I've been moderated (posts hidden) as off-topic, and I don't say a lot...  On the other hand, windrivers.com where I was a senior Mod for some years was noticeably looser than BC.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:21 PM

Another point is that, as Q-E pointed out, we are all human and therefore differ in our attitudes and approaches. Most of us wander over most of the site at some time or another. There are areas - mainly security and malware - where I have little or no qualification which I very seldom visit but you will find that one mod might let something go which another might react to.

Another thing - a lot of what we react to is due to reports by the members themselves, when they think something is either wrong or even that another member is getting out of order. It's not just us !  Most of the members here have a very good idea of how the forum should run - thank you !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:04 PM

Every once in while we make the wrong call but that is a part of being human.

Part of being human is also admitting when you make a mistake and correcting it. Is there a moderator review system? Or a complaint system? Some kind of transparency? I know some times comeradity can lead to corruption and absolute power corrupts absolute. I say this as a Moderator on 4 forums, 1 of which I own. I have not had any negative experience with any moderator on this forum but have had my share of bumping horns with someone a bit too big for their breeches. Part of the reason I left DSLR.

PS. Queen-Evie is my favorite Moderator!  :heart: Just brought up a good point I wanted to retort. 

Edited by Trikein, 29 July 2016 - 05:10 PM.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:43 AM

Now I feel special.

When I make a mistake I do admit it. There is no shame in admitting one has made a mistake or was wrong about something.

As for the rest of your concerns, I will only say that what goes on behind the scenes stays there.

#8 vacuum-tube

vacuum-tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 05:04 PM

There is no shame in admitting one has made a mistake or was wrong about something.

No truer words ever spoken.

#9 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 09:21 PM

When I make a mistake I do admit it. There is no shame in admitting one has made a mistake or was wrong about something.

Ofcourse you do, that's why your my favorite. :-) Just like there is no shame admitting a mistake, I find it shamefull when people don't. Ego is the mean little shadow that fallows us all. 

what goes on behind the scenes stays there.

Oooooh. Like Vegas?  Red bull and pixie sticks? :lmao:

Edited by Trikein, 30 July 2016 - 09:21 PM.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:26 PM

That in turn leads to topics with multiple pages which in the past have drawn complaints by topic starters that they felt they did not get any real information that would help. They complain about having to go through multiple pages of junk to try to find anything useful. I recall this happening with a new member. He got so confused he decided to go elsewhere for help.

That is correct, I have had members Pm me to complain about this very thing.

Edited by NickAu, 01 August 2016 - 04:12 AM.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:01 AM

Anyone who thinks that Bleeping Computer Moderators are 'too strict', there's others that makes ours look like a playground, especially many of the 'dedicated' Linux help Forums, as well as some other high profile Tech forums & lesser known ones. I was once a Moderator & Assistant Administrator of a Windows 8 Forum that could had made it, problem wasn't Moderation control, we were stricter than here, rather Spam control put in place two years too late. By the time I suggested a solution that was put into motion 6-8 months later (Spam-O-Matic), it was like treating for termites long after the damage was done. 

After putting in 8-12 hour days & wearing out two mice, I left, totally spent & burned out, the spammers won the war against me, after canning 80-100 per day & were multiplying like rabbits in the spring year round. About a year after I left, the site was hacked. 

Don't know much about any forums outside of Tech ones, these are the only ones that I've participated in, except for one medical related one & OMG what a joke. :P

One member would state their health issue for support, and rather than others supporting that member, they'd be speaking of their own ailments, with next to no Moderation. 

The fact is, members who wants a long term stay with a Forum typically wants & expects Moderation control. No, the shots aren't always called perfect, as Queen-Evie stated above, yet at least we show that we give a dam*. Forums w/out rules enforced doesn't retain membership as long as those where these are. 

And no matter what, comes in the human equation. We're not perfect, yet a reasonable person wouldn't expect that anyway, and I've seen a few bad calls reversed, probably with an apology by the one whom made it. I've also not witnessed any Staff members here on an 'ego' trip, brandishing authority as though holding a whip, and suspect the Administrative branch here wouldn't tolerate that type of behavior. 

We do have more than out fair share of Topics that becomes chit-chat ones, and we're working to get a handle on these. This may result in a member whom just got in a few words off-Topic a warning when first noticed & another whom posted two pages none, we're not perfect. 

Yet I've seen much worse in my 9 year Forum travels. There's no place other than Bleeping Computer that I'd call 'home' any longer & regard this as the best Forum I've participated on, and w/out getting into details, have drawn a couple of fair warnings on myself. :)

Crazy Cat kind of summed it up nicely above, some members will never accept responsibility for their actions, no matter how much in the wrong (s)he may be, will always blame it on the Moderators for 'picking on them', their pride getting in the way of being reasonable. The content may offend some, though not me, have been in the 'no win' situation on tech Forums & more so in real life, my former career which was cut short well over 20 years & was very costly to me personally. To which this day, 10 years later, I still have not gotten over 100%, years of hard work for nil. 

I'd had happily taken more of these 'warnings' instead. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 01 August 2016 - 02:07 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 vacuum-tube

vacuum-tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:07 AM

Forum Rules:
Rule # 7
"There will be no  use of profanity on our message boards.  This will not be tolerated and can lead to immediate suspension."

Forum Rules:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forum-rules/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it is unacceptable to drift off topic but profanity is allowed and accepted.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 August 2016 - 09:32 AM.
quoted image deleted.

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:46 AM

3 posts have been removed from this topic.
One had an image that contained profanity. The other 2 referenced that post.

Post #12 quoted the image, which I removed. The post was left so his point could be addressed.

Profanity is not allowed.

Some words are tame, others not so much. We must keep in mind that everyone has his/her opinions as to what constitutes profanity/what they find offensive. The removed image contained word in the "not so much" category.

MY policy regarding profanity: it depends on the word used and the context it is used in.
Certain words I will edit out of a post. I'm no prude, I have been known to use a few of them, but I ALWAYS keep in mind where I am and who is around me BEFORE I use them.
If a post is profanity laden, it gets removed.
Rarely do we outright suspend a member who makes such posts. We do make every effort to let them know why the post was removed and give them a chance to play by the rules.

Bottom line is THINK before you post. It is the responsibility of ALL of us to read the rules and abide by them.

Bleeping Computer is a family-friendly forum and we want to keep it that way-a place where everyone feels comfortable.

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 10:04 AM

“Bleeping Computer is a family-friendly forum and we want to keep it that way-a place where everyone feels comfortable .” That’s why I’m here.

#15 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:03 PM

After putting in 8-12 hour days & wearing out two mice, I left, totally spent & burned out, the spammers won the war against me, after canning 80-100 per day & were multiplying like rabbits in the spring year round. About a year after I left, the site was hacked. 

I tried fighting that fight for a long time. I worked to control spam on the ISP level, which is a whole other ball of wax. I was digging through honey pots like Winnie the Pooh. In the end, I learned the process just doesn't include enough teeth for my liking. I wanted to hunt the spammers down and break their knuckles... ISP wanted me to send "warnings" to people we knew were spamming, but were still good paying customers. Golden rule: Those with the gold, make the rules. IMO when spammers info is found, it should go to the public so that there spammers start feeling some real world consequences. In the words of a great Klingon: "Find them and kill 'em".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users