Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with upgrading

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 timow

timow

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 03:03 AM

Hello @all.

So I am new here, and also new with the topic at all, I would really appreciate any help!

My PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz

Motherboard: gigabyte p55m-UD2

RAM: DDR3 8GB

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series

Power Supply: fusion 550r

Storage: 1 TB HDD

Case was a gift, so I dont really remember its name.

So, as u see, its not the best and I really want to upgrade to play new(er) games. I also dont have much money right now, but I prefer to wait and save money. So, I guess, I need to upgrade/change a lot, dont I ? But with which part(s) do I start ? Or is it like, I need a new Motherboard for a newer CPU and for that a better Power Supply and so on ? Sorry, I am really unexperienced...

Maybe someone can help me with upgrading that thing ?

Thanks to everyone that tries to help me!

Greetings

Timow

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 04:25 AM

You will almost certainly need to replace the motherboard/CPU/RAM together - as a new CPU would not fit your old motherboard & a new motherboard will probably be DDR4 RAM so you couldn't use the DDR3 you have. If your existing operating system is an OEM version you will need to replace that also at the same time.

Graphics card & HDD you could replace at any time - before of after the motherboard - you may also need a new power supply when you replace the graphics card but this will depend on the power requirements of graphics card you choose. Once you know the final spec you are aiming for you will be able to determine whether you are going to need a bigger power supply - although for a largely new build you may just want a new power supply to go with it - in which case that may be a suitable item to upgrade first (as it is fairly easy to replace & does not disrupt your existing software installations)

You may want to consider retaining the existing HDD if it is large enough for your requirements - or you may be looking for more speed in which case you might want to add an SSD.

First I think what you need is to decide approximately what spec you want to end up with - based on currently available parts - but be aware that this may change as new components become available.

Edited by rqt, 24 July 2016 - 04:26 AM.

#3 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:59 AM

timow you need replace replace your motherboard upto lga socket 1151. SSD is better than HDD but cool kept it up HDD and SSD. Your Gpu is not good gaming gpu. Post the budget under which you want to upgrade.
To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:57 AM

This PC would require more of a rebuild due to the older technology.  You will need to replace your CPU, motherboard, RAM, and graphics card, you will also need a new operating system license due to replacing the motherboard.  I'd budget at least $600 to $750 for this since you are gaming.

3939.png

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:00 PM

I see no reason to change CPU to anything slower than i7-5820K, that includes every LGA1151 CPU. That i7-860 has 4 cores and 8 threads @ 2.8 GHz (3.46 Turbo) so it's not very slow.

GPU upgrade is preferred.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 25 July 2016 - 02:00 PM.

#6 timow

timow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:44 PM

Thanks very much for all your answers! Now I "just" have to figure out what to buy and when. I would have max. 500€ atm, but would wait probably till i have like 1000€ (bit more is okay also). I would like to play newest games on maximum but just 1080, not 4k or anything. .

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:08 AM

Thanks very much for all your answers! Now I "just" have to figure out what to buy and when. I would have max. 500€ atm, but would wait probably till i have like 1000€ (bit more is okay also). I would like to play newest games on maximum but just 1080, not 4k or anything. .

With new video card like RX 480 you are able to play games at 1080p with probably "high" settings, but not maximum. Difference between high and maximum is usually very small at that resolution however. If we are talking about 60 Hz display...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users